Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,682   Online: 745

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Stumbled on this tribute to Galen Rowell

I stumbled on this and thought it was a pretty good tribute.

http://www.popphoto.com/photographyn...en-rowell.html
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had the opportunity to attend one of his presentations and meet him in NJ. He made a very good presentation. He was a fine photographer and had a very high opinion of himself and his photography. Maybe the opinion he had was rightfully correct. I also had the opportunity to attend lecturers with and meet his peers from Outdoor Photographer, George Lepp and Dewitt Jones. Additionally, I had the opportunity to take a workshop with Dewitt, who was a close friend of Galen's at Point Reyes National Seashore in 1991 (Workshop called Seeing Deeply). I had the opportunity to attend a presentation and meet Frans Lanting.

Considering all the chances that Galen took during his life in mountain climbing and taking photos all over the world in such places as Tibet and Alaska, it is very ironic that he and his wife Barbara would die so close to home in as I remember a small plane crash in California not that far from his home.

With his teaching (and writing), photographic images, zeal for life, Galen will be missed.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 11-02-2006 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich,

as I recall Galen Rowell died in a small plane crash on the way to his home in the eastern Sierra. They had moved from Berkeley a few years before. His wife was a pilot but I don't recall if she was piloting this plane.

I met Galen a couple of times. One of his stories was that he was going to Berkeley to be a physicist when he moved out into photograpy. Given the way he approached problems, I think Galen would have made a good physicist.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt,

I remember that Barbara was a pilot, but I don't remember if she was the pilot when the plane crashed.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I knew Galen pretty well, he spent quite a few of his trips up here in NW Montana, not some of his best published works, other than twin falls, Barbara was the pilot when the plane went down..I get very mixed when I see these types of articles published, Galen was an adventure thrill seeking adrenaline junky and would fully admit it around a table in Mooses pizza joint, he did what he did for the high...

He is missed, but it is sad, that many have not really understood and got to know him and what he really loved, yes he had a very high opinion of himself and what he did, most of us do!, but how many of us, are willing to hang off the side of a mountain about 10 thousand feet above the floor of the canyon to capture a sunrise?

Galen was a great guy, full of life and full of spirit, he is missed in the groups I run with..

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Parker; 11-02-2006 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Barbara was the pilot when the plane went down..
    The published reports at the time indicate she wasn't.

Barbara, an accomplished pilot, was not flying the aircraft that crashed near their home town of Bishop, in the eastern part of the state.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...4_rowell1.html
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert,

Published reports and actually fact, often times differ..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Robert,

Published reports and actually fact, often times differ..

Dave
    Kind of what I suspected after reading her book "Flying South".....
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From the above report:

"According to the FAA, the pilot's possession of a commercial pilot certificate was only one of several requirements that he needed in order to transport passengers for hire. The pilot had indicated to FAA personnel his intent to obtain the requisite air carrier (air taxi) operating certificate, which would have provided the requisite authorization pursuant to 14 CFR Part 135. However, the authorization had not been granted.

"Personnel at the passengers' Bishop-based business office indicated to the Safety Board investigator that the passengers desired to reimburse the pilot for the cost of their transportation. However, the pilot pointed out that he "did not have enough time in the aircraft type to act formally as a charter pilot." It was therefore agreed that "in exchange for the favor of the flight" the pilot would receive a photograph from the passengers, who were professional photographers.

"The FAA's Western Pacific regional counsel reported to the Safety Board investigator that this type of compensation in lieu of holding the requisite air carrier certificate is not permissible under its existing regulations. The pilot did not appear to have been sharing expenses."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin