Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,839   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    In many photographic magazines of around the 1960`s & 1970`s, there were often glamour/beauty portraits on the front covers taken by a photographer called Michael Barrington-Martin. The brief technical details for the photos would mention the use of an 8x10 inch format camera, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the photographer and which camera and lenses that he used?
    Hi, I was Michael -Barrington Martin's assistant from 1964 -1966 @ his studio in Glasshouse street London W1 Michael used a tele Rollie for his medium format Theatrical portraits, he also had a Linhof 5x4 with 10x8 back but I do not remember him doing very much with 10x8 while I assisted him, as it was mostly fashion for Linda Leigh, Rodney dresses ,Aquascutum, using 5x4 which I think was a De Vere.
    Michael loved big game fishing and had a trawler from Kinsale, Cork which he kept @ Millbay docks Plymouth. We used to travel down there in his VW microbus @ the week-end and fish off the Eddystone light house.He wrote for and illustrated his articals on fishing in several angling magazines.

His father was a portrait photograper I think in Gt Windmill street London W1. Michael was a very accomplished pianist before becoming a photographer and was self taught, I was the first assistant he had, being promoted from the darkroom as a B&W printer. His wife Peggy was the business brains they had one son called Rory, who I think went to Australia with Peggy and her mother after her divorce from Michael. Yes Michael did love the ladies just like Bailey who was known as "David Bailey makes love daily" this also applied to Michael who regularly had the studio door locked after a shoot.

The last that I heard of Michael was that he was living in Thetford forest with a lady artist, as he was into shooting game & I think he used to run wildlife walks in the forest.

Shooter
    35mm
    I worked for M B_M from 1959 to 1965 as his studio manager I was his1st.employee in fact I processed his 1st.rolls of film from his 1st. job in my garden shed, this was my dakroom that time, he had no equipment other than a camera.his first job was swimwear.He did have a Gandolfi plate camera & rolleiflex.
    John Axcell

Shooter
    35mm

Michael Barrington Martin - 60's & 70's

Quote Originally Posted by David Nye View Post
    Hi, I was Michael -Barrington Martin's assistant from 1964 -1966 @ his studio in Glasshouse street London W1 Michael used a tele Rollie for his medium format Theatrical portraits, he also had a Linhof 5x4 with 10x8 back but I do not remember him doing very much with 10x8 while I assisted him, as it was mostly fashion for Linda Leigh, Rodney dresses ,Aquascutum, using 5x4 which I think was a De Vere.
    Michael loved big game fishing and had a trawler from Kinsale, Cork which he kept @ Millbay docks Plymouth. We used to travel down there in his VW microbus @ the week-end and fish off the Eddystone light house.He wrote for and illustrated his articals on fishing in several angling magazines.

His father was a portrait photograper I think in Gt Windmill street London W1. Michael was a very accomplished pianist before becoming a photographer and was self taught, I was the first assistant he had, being promoted from the darkroom as a B&W printer. His wife Peggy was the business brains they had one son called Rory, who I think went to Australia with Peggy and her mother after her divorce from Michael. Yes Michael did love the ladies just like Bailey who was known as "David Bailey makes love daily" this also applied to Michael who regularly had the studio door locked after a shoot.

The last that I heard of Michael was that he was living in Thetford forest with a lady artist, as he was into shooting game & I think he used to run wildlife walks in the forest.

I knew Michael in London in the 1960's & 70's. His studio was in Glasshouse Street. Then a number of years later he moved to Goodge Street (I think that was the name but it was near the station). I never worked for him but used to help out in the studio when he was short handed.

His assistant at the time was Rodger Donald who I knew and still keep in touch with. He would know quite alot about the technical aspects of Michaels work.

But I do know he used a Linhof for outside work of buildings and in the studio as well. There was the normal Rolieflex and other cameras.

I sold him a Contraflex (I think that was the name) which was a 35MM SLR and at the time was a pretty good camera.

Whe I last knew him he was selling trannies from his large library and my wife was out selling to agents or studious or mags for him. I think it was called "stock shots" or something like, that but his big commissions had pretty much dried up. He was doing travel mags and catalogues and portfolios for wanna be models.

He had a small trawler which I knew about but I think he had sold it .. .but we used to go to Thetford Forest to cull the herd, where he had a rented cottage . We always ended up with a leg of Venison after a hunt which we became apt at roasting.

He was licensed to cull the heard and owned a couple of rifles with telescopic sights. These he used to leave in the VW camper and after we used the VW van we would find the rifles tucked away in the back and always alarmed at the consequences of being stopped. Never new what you would find in the VW.

He lived in a small apartment in Spring Street near to Paddington Station and many a small party with at least one beutiful woman present.

He was a very well read exotic character even though his reading was of a strange nature and he carried an excentric air about him.

I do not know or follow this site as I just on a whim I searced for him and found this blog. But I guess you guys are more interested in F stops and ASA speeds and such items as hasselblads. (Which he also had)

Not too sure where or how his story continued or possibly ended.

Donald Kelshall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had long forgotten this thread, thanks for the replies.

Shooter
    35mm
    I sold my house to M B-M in about 1976 near Thetford. I often called into see him about one thing or another and he always offered a choice of whisky and then handing me the bottle while he held the glass so I could help myself. I noticed one day that he had a camera on the floor being used as a doorstop and I recognised it as a Zeiss Contarex as I also had had one. He did quite a lot of work for British Aerospace (or whatever it was then called) at that time.

Shooter
    35mm

Barrington Martin - Status Since Thetford - jffrywrght

I have only just noticed the last entry in 2011 on this blog site after a couple of years, as everyone else seems to have done, and I am interested in knowing what happened to Michael.

In reply to Jeffery Wright (jffrywrght) of Thetford (7 Dec 2011) I would believe that the Camera used as a doorstop was my Zeiss Contarex that I mentioned.

But more to the point from the posts I think that Jeffery must be able to post info on Michaels last known address in Tetford or after, and hoprfully what happened to him.

We are all in the dark and it would be good to record Michael's last few years.

Hope some one can let us in this thread know more or follow-up info on this.

Donald Kelshall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys should work together and start a wikipedia page about him.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    After leaving school in the mid seventies I worked for a Nottingham based printers who had a photography studio based in London operating as Michael Barrington-Martin Limited. I was studying Business Studies on day release and as the MB-M Ltd accounts were still using double entry book-keeping I was asked to manage the accounts from the Nottingham office. I only met MB-M once at the studio and I think they were photographing food, ice cream I think and they had substituted instant mash for the ice cream so it would not melt under the studio lights! MB-M Ltd had a number of celebrity clients of the day and I remember getting told off for calling their agents chasing payments for work that was months overdue as the clients paid when they were ready to pay1 How times have changed!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Hello, Michael, B&W Printer.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [COLOR=#000000]I was interested to read about Michael-Barrington Martin but confused about the dates you mention 1964-1966 because I also worked at Michael-Barrington Martin’s In Glass house street. That was my first job after leaving school at fifteen at the end of 1960. I developed the half sheet negatives in small hangers in the three black tanks in the small room behind the door in the wash room. One day Michael put up a shelf and drilled through the main cold water pipe. Do you remember! When I started there 1960/61 the printers name was also Michael he used to take me on the back of his motor scooter to Peggy and Michael’s flat opposite St Paul’s Cathedral. Peggy used to be a teacher and introduced the both of us to classical music. She helped me with reading and remember the book “Animal Farm”. I have an old Anglers newspaper with a photograph of Michael Barrington Martin with Peggy in a boat holding a large fish he had just caught. They were very nice people especially Michael. If you are the Michael the B&W printer that I worked with I would like to hear from you. Being my first job I have often wondered what happened to you all.[/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is this the Michael Barrington Martin fan club?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin