Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 735
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth. UK.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,403
    Images
    3

    Michael Barrington-Martin.

    In many photographic magazines of around the 1960`s & 1970`s, there were often glamour/beauty portraits on the front covers taken by a photographer called Michael Barrington-Martin. The brief technical details for the photos would mention the use of an 8x10 inch format camera, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the photographer and which camera and lenses that he used?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    fairfield county, Ct.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,829
    Images
    24

    underrated masters

    Sorry I can't answer that particular question but in this months American Photo there is a very good article on the Underrated Masters of Photography. Worth checking out. Of course alot of theses men and women are NOT new to me personnally. Bill Silano; Leslie Krims; Philip Dixon; Duane Michaels; Denis Piel; Phillip Jones Griffiths; Bil King; Alon Reininger; Steve Hiett; Ara Gallant; Charles Harbutt. It's nice that a large circulation magazine pays attention to these people. If you are just starting out in photography it is worth a good look to either research or check it out for yourself. Some of the most aamzing photojournalism and fashion stuff ever.
    Best, Peter

  3. #3
    David H. Bebbington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Kent, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,364
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    In many photographic magazines of around the 1960`s & 1970`s, there were often glamour/beauty portraits on the front covers taken by a photographer called Michael Barrington-Martin. The brief technical details for the photos would mention the use of an 8x10 inch format camera, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the photographer and which camera and lenses that he used?
    When I worked for Ilford Limited in the 1970s, we would occasionally commission a well-known photographer to shoot pix for our campaigns. In the course of this work I met MB-M a couple of times. I did not see him operating a camera, by the 1970s he was shooting rollfilm. As he was a Brit, he should have used a Gandolfi for any 8x10" work! I was more struck by his apparent practice of very much mixing business with pleasure with regard to his models - he seemed to get a new one every couple of years who also became his live-in partner - presumably it was grounds for "divorce" when he ran out of angles to shoot the lady in question!

    Regards,

    David

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    862
    Images
    42
    Some people just hate to travel to work. 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth. UK.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,403
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    Sorry I can't answer that particular question but in this months American Photo there is a very good article on the Underrated Masters of Photography.
    Best, Peter
    A magazine I am not familiar with, but thanks for the tip.
    Cheers.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth. UK.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,403
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    Some people just hate to travel to work. 8-)
    ...........and your point is?............

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth. UK.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,403
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    When I worked for Ilford Limited in the 1970s, we would occasionally commission a well-known photographer to shoot pix for our campaigns. In the course of this work I met MB-M a couple of times. I did not see him operating a camera, by the 1970s he was shooting rollfilm. As he was a Brit, he should have used a Gandolfi for any 8x10" work!

    Regards,

    David
    Do you know which sort of focal length of lens he would have chosen for the majority of his portraits?

  8. #8
    David H. Bebbington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Kent, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,364
    Images
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Do you know which sort of focal length of lens he would have chosen for the majority of his portraits?
    No direct experience of this, as I said, I didn't see him actually shooting pictures. From what I recall of his work, he seemed to favor a normal type of perspective, so it wouldn't surprise me if he used 120 mm or so on 6x6, 360 to 450 mm on 8x10".

    As regards "traveling to work", he did in fact travel quite a long way - I seem to recall that yachting featured prominently in his life.

    Regards,

    David

    PS: Somebody here
    http://www.freelists.org/archives/ro.../msg00088.html
    reckons MB-M favored a Heliar!
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 11-29-2006 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    No direct experience of this, as I said, I didn't see him actually shooting pictures. From what I recall of his work, he seemed to favor a normal type of perspective, so it wouldn't surprise me if he used 120 mm or so on 6x6, 360 to 450 mm on 8x10".

    As regards "traveling to work", he did in fact travel quite a long way - I seem to recall that yachting featured prominently in his life.

    Regards,

    David

    PS: Somebody here
    http://www.freelists.org/archives/ro.../msg00088.html
    reckons MB-M favored a Heliar!
    Yes, I believe I had his 10 x 8 which was in a rather sorry state, I believe it was a rather old DeVere. He still worked with a mixture of 6x6 Hassle elm, linhoff and a 5x4, can't recall which. He was a real master of front projection.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    In many photographic magazines of around the 1960`s & 1970`s, there were often glamour/beauty portraits on the front covers taken by a photographer called Michael Barrington-Martin. The brief technical details for the photos would mention the use of an 8x10 inch format camera, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the photographer and which camera and lenses that he used?
    Hi, I was Michael -Barrington Martin's assistant from 1964 -1966 @ his studio in Glasshouse street London W1 Michael used a tele Rollie for his medium format Theatrical portraits, he also had a Linhof 5x4 with 10x8 back but I do not remember him doing very much with 10x8 while I assisted him, as it was mostly fashion for Linda Leigh, Rodney dresses ,Aquascutum, using 5x4 which I think was a De Vere.
    Michael loved big game fishing and had a trawler from Kinsale, Cork which he kept @ Millbay docks Plymouth. We used to travel down there in his VW microbus @ the week-end and fish off the Eddystone light house.He wrote for and illustrated his articals on fishing in several angling magazines.

    His father was a portrait photograper I think in Gt Windmill street London W1. Michael was a very accomplished pianist before becoming a photographer and was self taught, I was the first assistant he had, being promoted from the darkroom as a B&W printer. His wife Peggy was the business brains they had one son called Rory, who I think went to Australia with Peggy and her mother after her divorce from Michael. Yes Michael did love the ladies just like Bailey who was known as "David Bailey makes love daily" this also applied to Michael who regularly had the studio door locked after a shoot.

    The last that I heard of Michael was that he was living in Thetford forest with a lady artist, as he was into shooting game & I think he used to run wildlife walks in the forest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin