Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,551   Online: 900

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Andy Goldsworthy...

More of an earthworks sculpture than a photographer, but since his photographs are the only documentation of his works existence, you can really consider him a photographer as well.

Any fans of his work here?

I've been familiar with his work for sometime now, but it was not until recently when I picked up a copy of his DVD did I have a greater appreciation for his art.

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thinks he's a genius. really amazing creative mind

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Have you seen his video or ever heard him talk? I just loved it when he would start talking about how he is just trying to "understand the stone", or how the little broken twigs are comunicating with him. He truly is a genius.

I could not find any such website that he has, but here is a link to Google images to view some of his work.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BIG fan. I have given books of his work to graduating students on numerous occasions. After really spending time with one of these books the kids never look at the landscape in the same way again.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I assume that the DVD you are talking about is "Rivers and Tides" a documentary look at his work and methods. Loved it. Love his books. If you are talking about a different DVD, please post the title. I would like to see it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes, I'm talking about Rivers and Tides. They make the special edition of the DVD, but the extra disk does not have much more on it.
    Last edited by User Removed; 12-14-2006 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was an exhibition of his work in Sydney early this year and I watched the video which was also playing in the gallery. The prints were hideously expensive and only for the very serious and wealthy collector. I think he is on a different plane to everyone else. A soul really connected to the earth. Amazing hands.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My favourite contemporary artist by a long way, and just as much a photographer as anyone else.

It's fascinating reading about how he documents his work with his photography. In many instances the photograph is just as important as the piece. Most of the time it's the only record of the sculpture. One piece that stands out for me is in his book Arch where he says;

“It is so different making a sculpture for the moment to making one that can be seen at all times. Photography becomes a way of understanding and extracting an idea from the piece. There is an intensity about this process that I don't feel when I make a work that will be there a long time. I like and dislike it for this reason. I dislike it because it is hard and a strain and a burden. I am constructing the story of this arch in images. I have to extract from the journey the visual story of the arch. Making the arch itself in the various places is becoming less of a challenge than drawing the work together.”

He also spends a lot of time concerned about the light and waiting for just the right conditions to photograph his installations in the same way as we will wait for the “right” light to photograph, for example, a landscape.

A true genius.

Thanks for the heads-up on the DVD. I didn't know about that.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Mike,

I highly suggest getting the DVD. The special edition is actually pretty neat, even thought it does include much more, but it has the whole documentation of the large snowball project in London, where he placed 13 huge snowballs around the city to melt, and each one had different stuff inside.

Regards,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
    My favourite contemporary artist by a long way, and just as much a photographer as anyone else.

It's fascinating reading about how he documents his work with his photography. In many instances the photograph is just as important as the piece. Most of the time it's the only record of the sculpture. One piece that stands out for me is in his book Arch where he says;

“It is so different making a sculpture for the moment to making one that can be seen at all times. Photography becomes a way of understanding and extracting an idea from the piece. There is an intensity about this process that I don't feel when I make a work that will be there a long time. I like and dislike it for this reason. I dislike it because it is hard and a strain and a burden. I am constructing the story of this arch in images. I have to extract from the journey the visual story of the arch. Making the arch itself in the various places is becoming less of a challenge than drawing the work together.”

He also spends a lot of time concerned about the light and waiting for just the right conditions to photograph his installations in the same way as we will wait for the “right” light to photograph, for example, a landscape.

A true genius.

Thanks for the heads-up on the DVD. I didn't know about that.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went and saw Rivers and Tides twice at the University of Victoria's Cinecenta movie theater. Great movie about his work and the nature of art making.
    Andy Goldsworthy has been quite an inspiration for me. My "Secret Life of Still" series was inspired by Goldsworthy's work. His work is amazing and I will purchase the DVD when it's available in Victoria. I'll probably have to order it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin