Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,859   Online: 894

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not only is he a great shooter, but a fine critic and theorist as well. We had a thread running about the snapshot aesthetic (which I believe came off of a thread about Alec Soth's blog) where he really make some fatastic points. Persuasive enough to make me really rethink how and what I shoot.

He is truly another example of why I am so grateful to be an APUG member.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I met him here in los angeles on opening night of one of his shows. Very nice man and very nice prints.

vinny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Echo everybodies comments. It has been an absolute joy to revisit the gallery and see what gem he has put up next. An inspiration...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    me too - his pictures are an inspiration to me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the risk of being misunderstood as a negative criticism, I'll repeat here what I told my wife while were were visiting Brian's website a week or so ago. I told her that becase he has such a consistancy of vision...the way his wide format horizontals become a very distinct "eye," the way his composition is consistantly head-on, either symetrical or balanced, zen-like in their quietude and lack of clutter that the very, very small number of "heroic" landscapes (beautifully done, without a doubt)stand out and not really in a good way.

Here is an example:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20576

Those very few images, as perfectly executed as they are, do not re-enforce his very individual vision because they are what one would expect.

As a body of work, his photographs are nothing if not unexpected, except as one grows familiar with his way of seeing and then, only in a context they create for each other.

As I said, I'm in awe. At this moment he's a favorite pohotographer and represents the absolute pinnacle of what I've discovered as a direct result of APUG. I must see actual prints one day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    At the risk of being misunderstood as a negative criticism, I'll repeat here what I told my wife while were were visiting Brian's website a week or so ago. I told her that becase he has such a consistancy of vision...the way his wide format horizontals become a very distinct "eye," the way his composition is consistantly head-on, either symetrical or balanced, zen-like in their quietude and lack of clutter that the very, very small number of "heroic" landscapes (beautifully done, without a doubt)stand out and not really in a good way.

Here is an example:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=20576

Those very few images, as perfectly executed as they are, do not re-enforce his very individual vision because they are what one would expect.

As a body of work, his photographs are nothing if not unexpected, except as one grows familiar with his way of seeing and then, only in a context they create for each other.

As I said, I'm in awe. At this moment he's a favorite pohotographer and represents the absolute pinnacle of what I've discovered as a direct result of APUG. I must see actual prints one day.
    I agree with you, as much as the rest of his body of work is original and consistent, that particular picture struck me as too Ansel Adams-like.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, leave the room for a minute and people start talking about you...

I am extremely flattered by all of the comments and am very gratified that others feel merit in my work. I already have an inflated ego and now I fear that my wife will have to suffer with at least a temporary boost in my incorrigibleness. On the plus side this sort of positive reinforcement gives me increased motivation and encourages greater efforts on my part.

JStraw and MHV are correct in their astute observation. The image cited as being "Ansel Like" is much more Ansel like than any of my work. The reason behind this is simple, it's a very early piece of mine. I only started doing landscape work, after a two decade absence from the genre, in 1998. I decided then to go out and try my hand at landscape so in '98 I made trips to New Mexico/Colorado and Death Valley ( I just posted a photo from that trip, the oldest piece in my portfolio). At the time I was very influenced by Ansel,something I think that is very common among landscape shooters, especially when they first start out. On those early trips I was not selective in what scenes I felt were worth being captured. As a city boy just the sight of a mountain with snow on top was awe inspiring. At this point, for better or worse, I've gotten a little jaded and it takes a heck of a lot more to impress me and have me stop the car and pull out the gear.

The image "Mono Lake and the Sierra Nevadas" was shot in early 2000. It is an attempt by me to do the "Heroic" or "Grand Vista" landscape. It is not a signature type piece for me and is very traditional. However even now if I am presented with a heroic scene, or even one that has been done to death, as has nearly everything, I'm still going to give it a shot and see if I can do something more, or different with it. I don't think that because someone else has shot a certain scene already that that scene is now "done". However if you're going to shoot something that has been done before, you really need to bring something new to it, or be there at a truly exceptional moment.

The work that I loaded onto my APUG gallery back in November ( Norway, Newfoundland, Greece, Utah) is recent work. They are scans from negatives and have yet to be even printed. I think that in the last year or so I have been finding my particular POV more and that my work is becoming more unique to me. I have posted some recent images, "Pet Area", "Wrong Way" and "Clothesline" that are a departure for me, yet I feel drawn to doing.

If anyone has any questions about my work, gear, technique, whatever, etc. Feel free to ask. And again, thank you all for your comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well.... Does that call for a new APUG Featured Member? Let me propose you, EarlyRiser!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    If anyone has any questions about my work, gear, technique, whatever, etc. Feel free to ask. And again, thank you all for your comments.
    As was mentioned above, you seem to have some pretty developed techniques for achieving a sort of glowing, soft focus. I'd be interested in hearing about what equipment and processes you use for that.

Also, when you first saw the tv commercial where the stymied composer gets the answer to his problem by seeing the musical phrase formed by birds on a set of wires, did you wonder if someone had seen your website?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Well.... Does that call for a new APUG Featured Member? Let me propose you, EarlyRiser!
    Hear, hear!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin