Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 796

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Well.... Does that call for a new APUG Featured Member? Let me propose you, EarlyRiser!
    ditto...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What does being the APUG featured member entail? A drug test? Public disclosure of assets? Or the opportunity for me to talk about myself for a half hour.

If you guys want me to be the subject of a featured member piece, I'm game for it. I'm not sure if the powers that be would be interested in that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You ducking my questions, E.R.?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I second the nomination. Your photo's are stunning.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The drug test didn't bother me but the prostate exam was a bit much though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, could you please turn your head and cough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    As was mentioned above, you seem to have some pretty developed techniques for achieving a sort of glowing, soft focus. I'd be interested in hearing about what equipment and processes you use for that.

Also, when you first saw the tv commercial where the stymied composer gets the answer to his problem by seeing the musical phrase formed by birds on a set of wires, did you wonder if someone had seen your website?
    JStraw, I usually reserve my soft focus affects for the darkroom although sometimes I will shoot with an Imagon. I'll most often use various diffusers under the enlarger, sometimes for the whole exposure, sometimes for a part, or sometimes for just the high or low contrast split filtering. The hard part is controlling the amount of bleed that comes from the blacks when you diffuse in the darkroom, as well as the need to work higher contrast to compensate for the lowering of the image contrast due to the diffusion affect. Most of the prints that you see of mine with that affect are printed on grades 4 or 5. And eventhough I will often project my image through a cheap diffusion type filter, I test my camera lenses and enlarger lenses very thoroughly for optimum sharpness and contrast.

As for "Twelve Birds", the odds are that the people who did the PBS commercial did not see my web site, I don't get THAT many visitors. Granted the image existed before the commercial, but the observation that birds on telephone wires resemble musical notes is not that new. At least I can not imagine it not having been observed before. The hard part though is getting a scene that actually works. In fact I did a similar photo with sneakers 32 years ago. See below. I may put this in the gallery just to see if people like my teenage work better than my "mature" work. I've been looking to do a new and better version of this shot for a few years now, but they cut them down too fast nowadays. There is a tree in Nevada that has thousands of sneakers on it though. Maybe I'll post a photo of it,

I was a bit bummed seeing the commercial though because I felt that now people would think the commercial came first and I was copying it. What can you do.

I am curious though when I come across long established scenes and I see compositions or juxtapositions that seem perfect and yet no one has ever quite used them. The image "Death Valley Dunes" has those pyramid buttes, the New York Buttes I think they're called, and no one as far as any DV sand dune photos that i have ever seen has bothered to really pair them prominently with the dunes. Maybe sometimes you think that you're shooting something shot before, but it's never been shot like that before, because everyone assumed that it has been done before. But it only goes to show that even in highly photographed scenes, there's still room for differing styles or POV's, except of course slot canyons, they all look the same....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sneakers500.jpg  
    Last edited by Early Riser; 12-20-2006 at 08:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Brian.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin