Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,588   Online: 874

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Back in the 80's, when you had to make the choice, I would've chosen Frederick Sommer. Today, I would choose Hiroshi Sugimoto.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As long as we're talking about anybody, even those who wouldn't ever come, I'll nominate Don McCullin.
    Neal

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Which photographer. . .?

Since I'm still abit of a newbie, and only recently began discovering the more well-known "pitcher-takers", though she has passed, I'd nominate Diane Arbus.
    Personally, I'd love to capture more unique folks, like she had. Her daughter, Amy, isn't 1/2 bad either.
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    APUG's jnanian.

I think he'd light a fire of creativity under the students asses. He'd open whole new worlds of exploration. He'd shake them out of their expectations of themselves, and their photography.

Just what students need before they fall into ruts so deep they can't crawl out.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Our Donald L. Miller would be my choice!

Cheers

André

Images
    Great thread! I'd pick Michael and Paula.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd actually disagree about Michael & Paula. They're not for people who are still experimenting and exploring. They're the go-to folks for someone who has a very specific vision of where they want to go, and needs someone to help get them on the way to it. They represent a version of "The One True Way", and as such have the ability to turn off as many people as they inspire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'd actually disagree about Michael & Paula. They're not for people who are still experimenting and exploring. They're the go-to folks for someone who has a very specific vision of where they want to go, and needs someone to help get them on the way to it. They represent a version of "The One True Way", and as such have the ability to turn off as many people as they inspire.
    While I think that perhaps some have interpreted what they say as the above, I never heard either one of them say that they had "the one true way" or anything even close to that at the Apug conference. As a matter of fact, I remember quite the opposite being said many times. Whenever questions about materials or working methods came up each was always very careful to say that what they were talking about was their method that they discovered to be the best for their type of work. Now, if your type of work is quite different than what they do it might not be especially helpful, but there were subjects talked about that would be helpful to any photographer I think. Michael does seem very critical of camera clubs and the way art school forces students to pick a "gimmick" that they can call their own to mark their style at too early a point in their creative and personal development, but I just see that as critical of some of the aspects of photographic society and not limiting to personal development.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph Gibson. I think he is a great example (and there are many others) of someone with great vision and conceptual approach to photography.

But on a more selfish note I suppose I would also like to listen to and see work by either Gordon Hutchings or Howard Bond from a LF point of view.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I've spent enough time with them, Scott, both in and out of workshops, to state that your characterization of them is 100% Dead Wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin