Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,614   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

George Tice - BIG

I was able to see and closely inspect some of the 20 x 24 platinum prints George Tice has begun offering recently. They are stunningly beautiful. I am told they were made by a printer in Belgium I believe. Anyone know who this is? They must be from big d-negs, but I took a loupe to them and saw nothing to give this away. If anyone knows who made these, I'd love to know.

If anyone gets a chance to see these in person, don't miss it.

BTW - They start at $6,000.00 each and I am told they are going fast.

Bill

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bill,

you might email Ben Breard at www.afterimagegallery.com he is a long time rep for Tice and he may know the answer.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the Belgian atelier that has recently been printing books for Lodima also does platinum printing. Could be them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    WOW New Jersey landscapes? I wonder if the Oak Tree, Holmdel, NJ is still standing? It may have been cut down to make way for development. His Urban Landscapes book is worth a look. All images of NJ. Some of the places he photographed you would need the National Guard or a full blown radiation suit for protection.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

George Tice's platinum prints are made by Salto in Belgium. My wife, Paula Chamlee and I had platinum prints made by Salto and we introduced George to them. Salto also printed the book of George Tice's that we published. And we will be publishing another one. With it, we will be offering a special edition with a platinum print priced at 1/2 of the minimum that George's platinum prints go for--along with a slipcased signed and numbered book Full information will be posted soon at www.lodimapress.com.

The platinum prints. First, an original negative is scanned. Then 5 enlarged digital neagtives are made. The paper is double or triple coated and the neagtives are printed in register. The results are astounding. Salto has to be the best platinum printer in the world. I have had prints made from my 8x20 negatives one meter wide (15 x 39). Paula's prints are from 8x10 negatives and are 29 x 23 and are printed on handmade Taizan Japanese paper. These platinum prints are rich--black densities go to just over 2.0.

The team, a very small group of very dedicated people, at Salto is fantastic and they are fanatical about quality. We have them print our books. The only do 600-line screen quadtone. No other printer can do 600-line screen. Stochastic printing is not quite as fine. Their platinum printing atelier is amazing. They also have carbon printing, tri-color carbro, and dye-transfer ateliers, and in the past have done photogravure, though I do not think they are doing that at this time.

Because they are a very small team, their weak point is responding promptly. If anyone is interested in working with them, please contact me and I will intercede for you. One word of warning: they are expensive, but worth it if you care about the highest quality.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    George Tice's platinum prints are made by Salto in Belgium. My wife, Paula Chamlee and I had platinum prints made by Salto and we introduced George to them. Salto also printed the book of George Tice's that we published. And we will be publishing another one. With it, we will be offering a special edition with a platinum print priced at 1/2 of the minimum that George's platinum prints go for--along with a slipcased signed and numbered book Full information will be posted soon at www.lodimapress.com.

The platinum prints. First, an original negative is scanned. Then 5 enlarged digital neagtives are made. The paper is double or triple coated and the neagtives are printed in register. The results are astounding. Salto has to be the best platinum printer in the world. I have had prints made from my 8x20 negatives one meter wide (15 x 39). Paula's prints are from 8x10 negatives and are 29 x 23 and are printed on handmade Taizan Japanese paper. These platinum prints are rich--black densities go to just over 2.0.

The team, a very small group of very dedicated people, at Salto is fantastic and they are fanatical about quality. We have them print our books. The only do 600-line screen quadtone. No other printer can do 600-line screen. Stochastic printing is not quite as fine. Their platinum printing atelier is amazing. They also have carbon printing, tri-color carbro, and dye-transfer ateliers, and in the past have done photogravure, though I do not think they are doing that at this time.

Because they are a very small team, their weak point is responding promptly. If anyone is interested in working with them, please contact me and I will intercede for you. One word of warning: they are expensive, but worth it if you care about the highest quality.
    Michael,

Isn't one of the group there Carl Fransman? Also I beleived they are housed in the site of the former Royal Psychiatric Hospital of Belgium
    Do they have a web site?

Thanks,
    Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Michael, Info much appreciated.

Bill

Carl Fransman, who is a good friend of ours, last worked at Salto in 2000. Since then Salto has undergone total reorganization. They are no longer at the old facility near Maastricht. They do not have a web site.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Gearge's prints can be seen until February 11 at Candace Dwan Gallery, 24 West 57 Street, New York.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw them at Susan Spiritus' gallery in Newport Beach. Stunning! I gather these will sell out, but a new set will be available (different images of course) before long.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin