Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,437   Online: 1158

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In 2003 Steve Hodel wrote a book about his father being the killer of "The Black Dahlia". Chapter 17 of the book, "Black Dahlia Avenger" discusses the author's father, Dr. Georger Hill Hodel and Man Ray along with others being influenced by the Marquis de Sade. The author even goes into detail comparing poses by Man Ray's models to the positioning of Betty Short's "The Black Dalhia" body.

I personally don't agree with the author, and I don't know if what he says about Man Ray in the book is true. I am just pointing out this book contains information on the darker side of Man Ray and others such as John Huston.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May want to get a copy of "Man Ray" - essays by Emmanuelle de L'Ecotais and Katherine Ware. Warning: It is a huge and heavy volume.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Aperture 186, Spring, 2007 has an article, "On the Art of Lee Miller"; former fashion model; live in girl friend, assistant and model for Man Ray; and photographer. There are several of her photographs, one of Man Ray and his next model/live in, and a self portrait of Lee. The author of the article, Mark Haworth-Booth, became curator of photographs for the Victoria and Albert Museum the year she died. He has spent the last two years preparing an exhibition and writing a book called "The Art of Lee Miller", with much help from her son.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    He took up photography to have photographs of his sculptures, which consisted of weird things like unravelled lamp shades, clothes irons with nails glued to them, and a painting with a doorbell wired into it. (Which didn't actually ring)

Also, he used to drive around yellowstone in an old station wagon taking pictures from the roof. Oh wait, that was someone else...
    Last edited by RobLewis; 03-01-2007 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: 3rd grade level spelling errors

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lonely_eye View Post
    Hey guys, I have a photography assignment for my photo class on Man Ray, I already have his lifespan, and details on his early life. What else should I know about him besides the fact he did abstract art and inspired the X-ray?(So my teacher says)
    I don't wish to appear rude, but perhaps some real (= library) research might be a better idea than asking people who might be tempted to mislead you deliberately, as I was. The big drawback to the internet is that you need to know a lot about your subject before you can judge what information is valid. The observation that he 'inspired the X-ray' suggests that either you or your teacher knows almost nothing about Man Ray, X-Rays or basic research.

Again, sorry if this appears harsh, but it is an excellent illustration of the dangers of internet 'research'.

Cheers,

R.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin