Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,821   Online: 852

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Anyone have any info on Man Ray?

Hey guys, I have a photography assignment for my photo class on Man Ray, I already have his lifespan, and details on his early life. What else should I know about him besides the fact he did abstract art and inspired the X-ray?(So my teacher says)
    By the sea is where I'll make my living.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lonely_eye View Post
    .... What else should I know about him besides the fact he did abstract art and inspired the X-ray?(So my teacher says)
    Man Ray was born in 1890 in the US.

Rontgen's discovery in Germany of X-Rays is usually dated to 1895. He received a Nobel prize for it in 1901.

If Man Ray "inspired the X-ray", then that Man Ray was quite a progeny, wasn't he, man? :rolleyes:

You may want to ask for a tuition refund.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That he was a friend of the Surrealists (he took their portraits) and that a trip to the library will yield all sorts of good books about him.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, the X-Ray thing is probably because he called his sabbattier prints "rayographs" as a pun on his nom de plume. He did not invent X-Rays.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by my_lonely_eye View Post
    Hey guys, I have a photography assignment for my photo class on Man Ray, I already have his lifespan, and details on his early life. What else should I know about him besides the fact he did abstract art and inspired the X-ray?(So my teacher says)
    That he made some really odd and not all that enjoyable films.

Wayne

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    There's a dvd you can watch on him at netflix, I think.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rayogram
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a librarian, I can tell you: go to your library and ask for a dictionnary of photography. Many of them exist

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    real name was emmanuel radnitzky ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    He used xrays as one of his methods of trying to do things "differently". I don't know if he even claimed that he was the first or only one to do that, but he just did still life studies using xrays. That might have "inspired" others to try something similar....
    Tim N. Roscoe

Celebrating
    Canadian Landscape

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin