Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,042   Online: 972

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Ulrich Tillmann and Wolfgang Vollmer

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these photographers. I read a short description of their work in the book "20th Century Photography" that stated that in 1984 these men, "created the cycle Masterpieces of Photographic Art, which proved that some of the most famous pictures in the history of photography, such as Irving Penn's portraits of Pablo Picasso, can be attributed to unknown, only recently discovered predecessors."

I just wanted to know if anyone has any additional info, i.e., did someone really do this (and other famous photographs) before Penn (and others) did them?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I remember seeing their book in a used book store and kick my butt for not buying it then. The set that I rember most was Steichen's picture of Gloria Swanson with the veil over her face and a very similar treatment that preceeded Steichan's. They had many such examples.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yeah, I saw the picture in the book, however the date of the photograph made it somewhat unclear regarding whether it had been made before stiechen's. I find it kind of amazing these famous photos were done before. I wonder whether the artists saw the photos before hand and copied them (I find that doubtful) or if they simply had the same idea as someone else. If the latter is correct, it really makes me doubt the conception of artists (and their art) as unique. Thanks for your input.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin