Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,540   Online: 1184

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I agree, and as I indicated earlier the photographs speak for themselves, as they should. I have a very fine appreciateion for the man's photographic efforts. I like his portraits very much, and I also think "Canyon Snow" is quite nice.
    I just finished browsing through the website portfolio. Yes, these photos stand on their own. They are impressive. Equally impressive, I think, is that this work spans the most active years of his adult life, from the 1930s to the 1970s. Obviously, photography was not just a passing fancy for him.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    In fact Barry Goldwater so strongly rejected the Christian Conservative [Damnit now I have to clean my hands and my keyboard!!!] that he refused to endorse them or speak a Republican Conventions. He said you cannot legislate morals and neither should you promise them in politics.

Steve
    I was in California when Goldwater was a presidential candidate. I hope he chose not to endorse some of the Christian conservatives there. However, some certainly endorsed him. Several radio stations seemed to exist solely to raise money, tout Goldwater, and damn most of the World to eternal fire and brimstone. It tainted Goldwater by association, even if he may have rejected their stance..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I was in California when Goldwater was a presidential candidate. I hope he chose not to endorse some of the Christian conservatives there. However, some certainly endorsed him. Several radio stations seemed to exist solely to raise money, tout Goldwater, and damn most of the World to eternal fire and brimstone. It tainted Goldwater by association, even if he may have rejected their stance..
    Well, nobody can really be responsible for those people, and who'd want to?

Anyway, I' like to discuss his photography. The article indicates a body of about 15,000 pieces of work, so it was certainly not a passing fancy. The site has about two or three dozen.

There is a nice little page on the sight devoted to his equipment and methods, in his own words. He shot PlusX and later, TriX.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, nobody can really be responsible for those people, and who'd want to?

Anyway, I' like to discuss his photography. The article indicates a body of about 15,000 pieces of work, so it was certainly not a passing fancy. The site has about two or three dozen.

There is a nice little page on the sight devoted to his equipment and methods, in his own words. He shot PlusX and later, TriX.
    JB,

Following on your suggestion I did a quick review of a couple of dozen of the photos on the website.

Sorry, but I think they are "nice shots" but they reveal that Barry's calling was not photography.

They do provide an interesting historical record, however, of and earlier, more bucolic, AZ. The one that existed up until the boom began after the water and electric resources made possible by the Salt River Project started coming online around 1980.

EDIT: BTW, I think his photographic work tailed off after the 1950's. One might say he was a bit of a "renaissance man"; another might use the term "dilletante".

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    JB,

Following on your suggestion I did a quick review of a couple of dozen of the photos on the website.

Sorry, but I think they are "nice shots" but they reveal that Barry's calling was not photography.

They do provide an interesting historical record, however, of and earlier, more bucolic, AZ. The one that existed up until the boom began after the water and electric resources made possible by the Salt River Project started coming online around 1980.

EDIT: BTW, I think his photographic work tailed off after the 1950's. One might say he was a bit of a "renaissance man"; another might use the term "dilletante".
    I'd have to disagree, I like the most of the ones I've seen, and 15,000 self processed negs over 50 some years is hardly the work of a dilletante.

I think its quite allright to not find anothers work to your taste, however, calling an obviously serious photographer a dilletante is a bit much.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd have to disagree, I like the most of the ones I've seen, and 15,000 self processed negs over 50 some years is hardly the work of a dilletante.

I think its quite allright to not find anothers work to your taste, however, calling an obviously serious photographer a dilletante is a bit much.
    Well, you might say that his lack of recognition as a photographer is a VAST LEFT WING CONSPIRACY to deny him his due because of his contrary political beliefs to that of those generally attributed to the "ARTISTIC ESTABLISHMENT".

Or you might say that they just generally are not all that impressive. Quantity of output is not a substitute for quality.

His pictures are no worse than mine. But that ain't saying much!

Anyway, fair enough to disagree - I've given my accolades here to Mr. Goldwater where I think he deserved them. I'll leave the thread now for others to discuss.
    Last edited by copake_ham; 02-02-2007 at 11:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    BTW, I think his photographic work tailed off after the 1950's. One might say he was a bit of a "renaissance man"; another might use the term "dilletante".
    Some people have jobs George, and succumb to corrupting their artistry for that sake. Barry certainly did have a hiatus from photography in the early 1940s, frivolously flying cargo airplanes through (not over) the Himalayan mountain passes. I wasn't there (hadn't been born yet) but I have heard that was one of the most dangerous things a person could do. What a chump! Bet he missed the best shots of his life doing that.

BTW, please don't bother reviewing my photos. I'm quite sure I qualify for your bucolic dilletante award. Thank you. I'm proud.

Now then, Jason, you were saying-----
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Some people have jobs George, and succumb to corrupting their artistry for that sake. Barry certainly did have a hiatus from photography in the early 1940s, frivolously flying cargo airplanes through (not over) the Himalayan mountain passes. I wasn't there (hadn't been born yet) but I have heard that was one of the most dangerous things a person could do. What a chump! Bet he missed the best shots of his life doing that.

Alex,

Could you please explain to me how the above comments relate to the QUALITIES of Goldwater's photography?

He's been lauded on this site for many attributes - as you just have done with a recitation of his WWII missions. And, in fact, I mentioned his 1950's surveys of the Grand Canyon - did you read the whole thread here?

But, more to the point, how do your comments add to the erstwhile forgotten appreciation of his photography?

Isn't this what I think JB wanted the discussion narrowed down to?

Don't single me out by name as the one who doesn't appreciate the man's photography. Last I checked, other than what has been dredged up here today, no one even knew there were family using his name to extract a few bucks selling his pedestrian photos!

He may be your "god" - he's not mine!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After browsing through the website with his photography and words, it seems to me that Barry Goldwater might very well have been a contributing and enthusiatic participant on APUG, if APUG had been available to him, and he had had the time.

Just think of the discussions he and George and Roger could have engaged in!

Matt

Images
    On one extended photography trip, Edward and Charis Weston spent some time with the Goldwaters. Read all about it in her book "Through Another Lens."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin