Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,978   Online: 858

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Senator Barry Goldwater, Photographer

Just ran across this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_g...er#Photography

According to the article, the Senator had three books published, one with a forward by Ansel Adams.

Anyone seen his work or remember it?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Barry Goldwater sent a mounted and framed photography to his good friend and political advisary John F. Kennedy. President Kennedy sent a thank you note that said congradulations on finding a career that you can finally succeed in!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a magazine cover several years ago that feature the Senator and his work. Seem to recall seeing a show of his work as well, back in the late 70's and it was quite good.

IIRC he was a member of PPA and quite active for some time. Glad to see people are still discovering his work.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for reminding me about Goldwater -- I've recently been wracking my memory trying to think of a really good photographer who is also a political conservative. The only ones I've been able to think of are essentially exercising mannered tropes, and Goldwater is certainly the arch-example of all examples. His 1950's and 1960's photos look like they should have been made a half-century earlier.

Last edited by bjorke; 02-01-2007 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The original Barry Goldwater prints I've seen certainly wouldn't compete with Ansel Adams, but weren't all that bad. Ex-senator Howard Baker was also a photographer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    While I never agreed with his politics, besides photography, Goldwater and I shared another interest - ham radio. He was very highly regarded by amateur radio operators - even those opposed to him fantasized about a full-size yagi antenna on top of the White House. Goldwater was an active ham throughout his life and during the Viet Nam War (a time well before internets, global telephoning etc.) was very active "running phone patches" so that troops could contact their families via a ham radio/telephone interconnect.

As to his photography, I understand he did a number of aerial surveys of the Grand Canyon in the 1950's. This was when much of it was still unexplored. And I believe Goldwater is credited with "discovering" at least one major rock formation in what was an inaccessible part by shooting the same area at different times of the day to "follow the sun".

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    [quote=copake_ham;426127]besides photography, Goldwater and I shared another interest - ham radio. quote]

FWIW, the late King Hussein of Jordon was also an international ham operator.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Thanks for reminding me about Goldwater -- I've recently been wracking my memory trying to think of a really good photographer who is also a political conservative. The only ones I've been able to think of are essentially exercising mannered tropes, and Goldwater is certainly the arch-example of all examples. His 1950's and 1960's photos look like they should have been made a half-century earlier.
    Yes, but if you read his 'The Conscience of a Conservative' you soon see that he's a long way from the current cartoon conservative, i.e. he's not a brain-dead redneck born-again Christian warmonger.

I'm not saying the cartoon variety is the only sort of conservative there is, because Goldwater himself illustrates perfectly that this is not so. I'm just suggesting that the cartoon variety has been on the ascendant lately.

Surely there must have been a few good Nazi photographers: not Leni, please, because I really believe that she was naive rather than a committed Nazi (and indeed few Nazis apart from Hitler himself appear to have been able to stand her -- an unusually persuasive illustration of the Fuehrerprinzip, perhaps). I do recall seeing other clichéd but still arresting Nazi pictures, though. And of course on the other side of the fence there were quite a few good Communist photographers such as Aleksandr Rodchenko.

And what about Argentina? The percentage of good photographers from the Argentine has been disproportionately high, but I know little about their political sympathies.

Cheers,

R.

Images
    I liked what I have seen of Goldwater's photos.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is the Barry Goldwater Photo website:

http://www.barrygoldwaterphotographs.com/

A conservative from the 60's and 70's has little in common with a neocon and the circus going on today. Goldwater would likely have very serious issues with the current administration (but then again who wouldn't, doesn't, unless you have stock in Exxon)

In perusing his photos it is pretty clear that he photographed for the love of it, and I think that Barry Goldwater, Photographer, can stand alone and apart from Barry Goldwater, Politician.

Kudos to Mr.Goldwater. RIP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin