Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rock concert with Sally Mann in Stockholm tomorrow

... OK, maybe not a rock concert but it felt like it when I bought the ticket today to an opening of an exhibition here in Stockholm. She will have a talk about her technique and take questions. There were 100 tickets left this afternoon.

More info

/matti
    Last edited by matti; 02-02-2007 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wish I could attend. Let us know how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was very interesting. It was packed with 500 people that seemed to love her. She was interviewed by the curator of the exhibition and took a lot of questions from the audience, trying to answer really honest on everything for almost two hours.
    She seems to be a really humble person!
    There was so much people, I couldn't see the actual exhibition, though. Hopefully tomorrow.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, seems I`ll have to go to Stockholm now, I just HAVE to see Sally`s photographs in person.
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beeing the impatient one, I booked a train ride to Stockholm tomorrow morning
    Amund

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For those who can't make it to a Sally Mann exhibit there is an 1 1/2 hour documentary playing this month on Cinemax. "What Remains...the life and work of Sally Mann" It is a very interesting show and will give you a little insight on how she is often misinterpreted. Such as the "Faces" part of the exhibit is not about death masks but just the opposite. Also what enticed her to do the series on death was not the death of her father although it did have an impact. There was a man running from the police and stumbled onto the Mann farm where he committed suicide as the police approached him. That was the episode that triggered the series but it also helped her come to terms with her father's death and death in general. All the work in "What Remains" is wet plate collodion. I think for the exhibit the plates were scanned and printed digitally. Except for the "Faces" part of the exhibit where the actual plates were (or are) on display.
    Last edited by RobertP; 02-13-2007 at 05:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you all are sharing all of this. My husband & I had just missed the piece on Cinemax a week or so ago and probably won't be able to see it since we don't have Cinemax! Hopefully, it will be available through another means. I'd love to see it!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dorothy, I think what I appreciated the most about the documentary was how she allowed us to see and the filmmaker to record a very emotional and very intimate side of her. "What Remains" was canceled at the last minute by a New York Gallery. The show depicts how an artist of even her standing in the art world is effected by rejection and she questions if her work is of any merit. No different than the struggles any of us go through with our art. I've always been a fan of her work but I appreciate it a little more now after seeing the documentary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert,

Thanks for posting your views on the Doc. I'm hoping it will be released on DVD soon since I don't have access to Cinemax. Sally is one of my faves...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, Robert for sharing your input on the documentary. I too, look forward to viewing this if/when it is available elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin