Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,992   Online: 816

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    From Wikipedia, born 1915, died 1985. They have a larger version of the image at Wikimedia

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve Rothstein View Post
    John, you are right, Arthur Rothstein was my father. The photo was not staged. It was the last photo on a roll of film he was shooting when the dust storm struck. He was walking away when he turned and saw the scene, he shot it. Dad was very proud of this photo as well as all the photographs he did for the FSA. He was invited back later and met the youngest boy as a grown man walking in the same area. It is an amazing transition.
    I'm always interested in any anecdotes from that region and era. My mother was a young child during all this in Gray County, Kansas.

From all accounts I've heard, Mr. Rothstein's experience on that day was pretty typical. There was no way of warning residents about the formation and approach of the dust storms, save seeing them approach. And, despite popular legend, a lot of families stuck it out and stayed as this family did.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I bought a print of it years ago and it hangs in my new studio. Can you still purchase prints from LOC or just a digital file?
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Buying a copy of Rothstein's photo

If you go to the FSA section of the Library of Congress, you will find information about buying photographs.

John MacKechnie

Images
    Wow. That's amazing.

Seems odd that the older man is running ahead of the small child, doesn't it? Just a thought... neither here nor there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin