Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,145   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The blind photographer

http://www.theblindphotographer.com/

Please take a look at this site it's like nothing I would ever have thought possible.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This does not surprise me 'cause photography comes from the heart.

I've been blind on my left eye since I was 2 1/2 years old and need glasses to see clearly in my right eye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well my first thought was "Nonsense...preposterous." (and then I adjusted my little imaginary monocle and walked off in a huff), but really I'm impressed. An entirely new take on things, there are some really brilliant photographs there.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    if a deaf man can write symphonies
    it makes sense that a blind person
    can make photographs.

--john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how the photographers themselves appreciate their productions, how they relate to what they have photographed, and how they go about the editing process. There are myriads of ways in which you can assess a scene other than visually, and I'm interested in the photos that show good composition.

I've read some article a while ago about the use of relief maps to communicate pictorial data to blind people. They were able to understand perspective and the spatial location of objects within such a picture, and later on to produce them. It's one of the cornerstone of some theories about the nature of images that consider them not as visual data of any kind, but rather simply as the transformation of 3D information in 2D.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another great example of a blind photographer is John Dugdale. Of course he started out seeing, but lost most of his vision to an attack of CMV Retinitis, and has been losing the rest of it since. If he has any left at all, it is less than 5% in one eye only. And he uses an 8x10 Studio Deardorff!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know, this guy made me the WORST watch......

I met several members of the blind photo group at PhotoSF last year. There was only one, however, whose work I felt had anything interesting about it.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    8x10 Format

wyno

There was a movie done here in Australia called "Proof" with Hugo
    Weaving about a blind photographer. It's worth a look
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A gentleman in a photography class I took several years ago was legally blind. He took some really nice photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Another great example of a blind photographer is John Dugdale. Of course he started out seeing, but lost most of his vision to an attack of CMV Retinitis, and has been losing the rest of it since. If he has any left at all, it is less than 5% in one eye only. And he uses an 8x10 Studio Deardorff!
    I like his work too. I have mainly seen the cyanotypes, but I understand that he is also making albumen prints these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin