Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,653   Online: 917

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    "People from other parts of the country have no concept of how deep blue the Western sky can be."

That is very true. I have many slides in which a polarizer and Fuji Velvia film produced an ink-black sky. It can be an effective technique but it can also be a bit of a surprise when you don't realize it's happening.
    A little polarizer action does not hurt, either.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, you never know what you are going to learn each day on APUG. I now know why my images and negatives don't match up with Ansel and Edward's.

My negatives and prints are all made in dirty air! ;-)

Charlie........................................... .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb View Post
    Ok, you never know what you are going to learn each day on APUG. I now know why my images and negatives don't match up with Ansel and Edward's.

My negatives and prints are all made in dirty air! ;-)

Charlie........................................... .
    In the old days words were dirty and the air was clean.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And who can forget this famous apug discussion on the topic:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/2...nsel+polarizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    People from other parts of the country have no concept of how deep blue the Western sky can be. Add high altitude and it's even more so.
    Of course if you are in Rochester New York the sky always looks like the 18% gray card!

Where did you think those gray cards came from??

Which brings to mind: Why did George Eastman choose Rochester New York to establish Kodak?

Because Rochester New York is the world's largest natural darkroom!

My bad,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the pleasure of seeing a lot of Adam's early interpretations of some of his famous works a few years ago. I was struck by the much more normal contrast range of Adam's early prints. I think most of the black skies in the later prints are the result of darkroom manipulations.
    juan

Of course they were "manipulations". To quote the man himself, "the negative is the score; the print is the performance." During the course of a long career, Adams' opinions about how his prints should look changed. Any of us might discover this; if I was to go and reprint a neg from 25+ years ago it's likely I'd print it differently. A key difference in this is, of course, that Adams had (I should say made) a market for his older images, unlike myself...
    Remember also that the Zone system is not about the literal transcription of light values- but being able to control them to achieve an emotional result. Which Adams did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I know Ansel was very smart guy (photographer). He knew limits, or where to stop, in darkroom work very well. It is possible that he added some light in darkroom but sure not that much so anyone set a question. So it is a filter (he used Red one a lot).
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    He knew limits, or where to stop, in darkroom work very well.[/url]
    I must disagree. Take a look at his two interpretations of Mount McKinley and Wonder Lake. In the later print ('78) vs (49), he totally disregarded atmospheric perspective and made an image that is top heavy and graceless. In the original, vintage print he surrenders the foreground to dark, featureless masses and the mountain to a sense of distant majesty. His earliest interpretation of Moonrise, Hernandez is similarly subtle with a graduated sky and more realistic sense of 'evening' light. His later renderings are almost garishly contrasty and blunt. A master, absolutely, but capable of missteps...absolutely as well.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    Of course if you are in Rochester New York the sky always looks like the 18% gray card!

Where did you think those gray cards came from??

Which brings to mind: Why did George Eastman choose Rochester New York to establish Kodak?

Because Rochester New York is the world's largest natural darkroom!

My bad,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve for making us upstate New York people feel bad. It's true we only get about 56 days of "full sunshine days" per year. The other so called good days we refer to as "bright cloudy" and the rest of the year is just pure crap. John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin