Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,697   Online: 849

Shooter
    35mm

Anyone read Nachtwey's "Inferno"?

Anyone here seen James Nachtwey's "Inferno"? Wow. The photos he has in there speak volumes, and his composition and eye for details is just simply amazing. It looks like the entire book's work is shot in Tri-X, and the tonality of the B&W photos is simply amazing. Anyone know how his lab/printer get such details out of Tri-X?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It comes from a lifetime of using one film. When you truly master your choice of film, your vision becomes reality.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a great documentary about Mr. N called "War Photographer" I think. It shows him working with his printer in New York, asking him to make many minor adjustments in order to get it the way he wants it.

He let the film makers put a tiny movie camera on top of his camera so you can see what his camera sees.

On a side note, he shoots digital now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, the Nachtwey doc is excellent, some pretty harrowing stuff though.
    What these guys must have seen...
    I noticed that he was shooting Tri-X.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have seen that documentary too, its very interesting, yet disturbing sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    On a side note, he shoots digital now.
    (German) Wikipedia says he uses both, but moves to digital more because of time constraints...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    yeah, LOVE that book. stunning doesn't even begin to describe the images. i went out and bought the DVD documentary as well, another great look at his work and life.

he did an interview four years ago (Feb 2003) with Apple for their "Pro" series in which he talks about his work and gear. it's a bit dated now but an interesting quick read for those so inclined: http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/nachtwey/

c.

Shooter
    35mm
    The DVD documentary, "War Photographer" is the best documentary I've watched in over 10 years. Really gritty at times, but what real photojournalism with conscience isn't?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    War Photographer was simply fantastic.

And seeing the look on that printer's face in take after take after take was just hilarious.

How much IS 30x40 paper like that? Oy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin