Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,256   Online: 778

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Stieglitz on Photography/Platinum

I was combing through a local bookstore and found this little gem.
    “Stieglitz on Photography” His selected essays and Notes.
    Compiled and annotated by Richard Whelan.
    This is a really neat find for me and only for $17. So, I grabbed it up. There are several chapters on photography but I want to share this one passage with you regarding Platinum Printing.
    “of all the modern printing processes at the command of the photographer, whether amateur or professional, none deserves to be more popular than platinum. The simplicity of manipulation, combined with the beauty of the results obtained with it, is enough to recommend it to every photographer. And above all, the prints produced by the method are as permanent as the paper which supports the image.
    Its range, yielding the strongest blacks with pure lights and long scale of intermediate half-tones or grays, is only equaled by the carbon process. The platinum print has an indescribable charm, suggesting atmosphere, though the negative printed on another may be entirely devoid of this valuable pictorial quality.”
    Wow, I just don’t think it can be said any better then this regarding Platinum printing. I don’t print platinum prints but I would agree with what Mr.Stieglitz. I’ve seen wonderful work from those who do print platinum.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have this volume and recommend it to anyone interested in the history of photography.

If Professor Vogel hadn't asked him what he was doing, the young Stieglitz would *still* be trying to clean glass plates....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That Stieglitz was one smart dude!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a copy of that as well, and I agree that it is an interesting read.

- Randy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin