Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,895   Online: 1261

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who said the "Your first 10,000 pictures..." quote or said it first?

After googling, I see "Your first ten thousand pictures are your worst" equally attributed to Henri Cartier-Bresson and Helmut Newton.

Who actually said it/or said it first? If someone knows the narrative around the quote, that'd be great.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All I know is that my next 10,000 weren't that great either! :-O

Regards,Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And with so many photographers shooting digitally, we should revise it to your first 100,000 are your worst!

It's funny, I actually thought that was an Ansel Adams quote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe Ansel Adams said that you need to take 10,000 photos to get one good one. That is not an exact quote, but I have heard that or something like it from several sources.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    ... you need to take 10,000 photos to get one good one...
    Dang! :o I better buy more film ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall that Chuck Jones (Warner Bros. animation director) said that his father told him this about drawing. I think it predates photography.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have heard two versions.

One from Ansel that said it takes a photographer 10,000 negatives to understand photography.

I have heard another version from Cherie Hieser that went something like, "You make 10,000 negatives, make 1,000 prints, get 100 good ones, 10 great ones and you only become famous for one."
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 35mm, that's only 277 rolls of film. At my current shooting rate, I should get there in two years from now, so I decided to take pre-orders on my future masterpieces. You can get a collector's print for 5,000$ now, which is chump change, only a philistine would refuse such a good investment, considering that they will acquire more value over time.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey View Post
    I seem to recall that Chuck Jones (Warner Bros. animation director) said that his father told him this about drawing. I think it predates photography.

Matt
    I was thinking about this quote recently because (a) I wanted to use it in my sig and (b) in Drawing I a few days ago, the Teaching Asst mentioned one artist who said that you can't claim to know how to draw until the stack of your drawings is shoulder high, and someone else had a quote that you can't claim to know how to draw until you can draw a man who has jumped out of a window and complete the drawing before he hits the ground.

I like that this thread is picking up steam. Hopefully some more folks for whom photo history is "their thing" will contribute.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    And with so many photographers shooting digitally, we should revise it to your first 100,000 are your worst!

It's funny, I actually thought that was an Ansel Adams quote.
    ...or maybe the first 10,000 to make it off the media from your camera. I can see someone shooting 100,000 images, chimping & deleting 95,000 of them and only saving 5,000 of them on other media.

-KwM-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin