Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 635

Thread: Portraits

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Portraits

http://www.jackspencer.net/

Anyone familiar with these portraits? Technique? I don t think it is d*&%$#?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dave, I am not sure...it may be...it would be pretty difficult to replicate some of the effects in a conventional process. Needless to say, I do like the effects...whatever the method, it clearly stands as a unique output by an artist.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful work!

From Google:

"Described as "self taught," he appears to have had a superb instructor. He shoots in medium format. The brown toned, selenium washed prints are extensively altered in the darkroom through the elaborate use of masks, soft focus and meticulous dodging and burning in specific areas. The resulting, exquisitely crafted, prints have the appearance almost of paintings that convey poetic memories of a sepia tinted time lost to our memory but present once again in our dreams."
    Amund

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Mark Mombarg-Thanks!

I have to give propers here to Mark....he posted some really fine portraits today in our Apug gallery....I checked out his website and he listed some really good links resulting in my posting here. In addition to Mark's website which I will take the liberty to post here, check out the links he has listed.http://www.zwartwit.org/pages/vivienneall.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Those Jack Spencer images are amazing and haunting. You feel like you're looking at an old master portrait, but there's enough there to let you see the photographic process (traces of Polaroid Type 55 negatives, etc).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've seen the work in person and it used to be done in the darkroom and outside of it as well. He would burn the final prints and the cover them in asphaltum and then scrap it off. The photographs in person are stunning. But I am sure he has gone digital at this point. Going from a Hasselblad and 4x5 to a Canon 1DS DIGITAL camera (Oh my god, did he just spell out digital on this shite?)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

holy smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I've seen the work in person and it used to be done in the darkroom and outside of it as well. He would burn the final prints and the cover them in asphaltum and then scrap it off. The photographs in person are stunning. But I am sure he has gone digital at this point. Going from a Hasselblad and 4x5 to a Canon 1DS DIGITAL camera (Oh my god, did he just spell out digital on this shite?)

Dave what do you mean by "burn the final prints"?

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take a flame, and burn the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regardless of technique, they are fine images and in my mind should be considered "fine art".

Thanks for posting, a very enjoyable series to view.

Charlie....................................

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin