Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,979   Online: 1031

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie, What else could it be...I mean no one, ever, took a picture of me nude by a rain pool, that I am aware of. Front, back, or otherwise...let alone post it for others to see. I am feeling soooo depressed now...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ Feb 23 2003, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Aggie,&nbsp;

You might want to check out www.evolvingbeauty.com. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Excellent work here. An *excellent* primer dealing with figure photography.

Anyone intested should check out his Model Release. Written with a slight Canadian legal slant, it conforms closely to what I understand about the legalities of it all.

Take some time when you access this site - there is a LOT to it - and all well worth the time.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not surprised by responses that vary widely from mine, but surprised at how little my favorites are even mentioned:

• W. Eugene Smith -- just crazy enough to believe that his lies were the right way to get at the truth
    • Garry Winogrand -- gee, same answer (j/k). For his determination to get at the heart of the very essence of photography as an art form
    • Diane Arbus -- for turning a mad life into pictures that grab to this day
    • Ralph Gibson -- for his graphic style and realizing that the boundary between the specific and the generic is one of the most interesting in photography
    • Sam Abell -- for finding gentle delight in all things, and rewarding the quiet, patient eye
    • Gilles Peress -- for seeing boldy what might have otherwise been unseen (one might say the same for Salgado, though his work plays, to me, too heavily on convenient western archetypes -- compare Workers to Telex Iran)
    • James Natchwey -- because he keeps coming back alive, and yet remains sane and compassionate
    • Robert Bergman -- because the world needs love
    • Boris Mikhailov -- for seeing a world full of broken, beautiful things. And people.

I could go on... but nary a craggy mountaintop nor clear-skinned nude in the lot.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, Sturges, Sally Mann, & N. Nixon would be on my list if I were pressed to find large-format favorites. Sturges' recent Irish schoolyard portraits are among the most beautiful I've ever seen.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sturges, Mary Ellen Mark, Zosia Zija, Eugene Atget, Eugene Smith, Dima Zverev.

You'll likely have never heard of Zosia Zija (www.zosia@zija.net) and Dima Zverev (can't remember his link, but a google search should turn it up). I'd highly advise taking a look.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This reminds me a bit of those top album lists in High Fidelity (by Nick Hornby)...vv difficult to make a choice, but I really love poetic, contemplative photography like Minor White, Sudek, Paul Caponigro and John Blakemore. And Edward Weston remains a real inspiration. In portraiture, Emmet Gowin, Paul Strand, Nick Nixon, Harry Callahan really do it for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Zija site is outstanding. Great links to other super sites as well. Well worth the visit.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Glad you were able to stop by Zosia's site, Eric. I'm really pulled to her work.

If you haven't found Dima's work, you can see it at photocritique.net. I tried to link his set, but am technologically challenged. Anyway, do a search by photographer and look him up. My personal favorite of his is "Mountain Cow".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My favorite photgraphers Are Jeanloup Sief and Albert Watson
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That Dima person is amazing. Great stuff. Aggie ya gotta check it out, right up your alley.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin