Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,478   Online: 932

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "I really don't give a crap how he generates his images"

To a point I agree, but do you care whether he tells the truth, or attempts to mislead, about what he does- because I do. His web-site is unequivocal on this issue and yet here and other forums substantial doubts remain about this and other images of his, with many people who know these areas better than I being convinced that he is not giving the whole story. If he is misleading about the origin of his work then that devalues it a lot in my eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    You know the guy might be a bit of a "salesman" but he has a good eye. I really don't give a crap how he generates his images. To me it's about creating art, not the process. With the exception of techniques that endanger the landscape we are trying to enshrine with our images.
    I have to say that I have seen better display's of nature's grandeur at the foot of her own creations than I ever have from some photoshop trickery.

With that said, I think it is a waste of time to engage in such pursuits as the real thing is always better.

When it comes to nature, you just can not top her art.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peters View Post
    Well, my wife, who has seen several race track images, said in less than 10 seconds when I said look at this shot, color was 'doctored' and the mountains were removed..

I think it looks too photoshopped.

I have been there and that was my reaction. Only the units of time was on the order on nanoseconds.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    He could have used a flash coming from the side in conjunction with some filter(s). Also, there are many ways of manipulating an image in the traditional darkroom, e.g., without photoshop. He could have just burnt in the sky and exposed the orange area with orange light. He doesnt actually mention in his notes that his images are accurate representations of the world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfactor View Post
    He could have used a flash coming from the side in conjunction with some filter(s). Also, there are many ways of manipulating an image in the traditional darkroom, e.g., without photoshop. He could have just burnt in the sky and exposed the orange area with orange light. He doesnt actually mention in his notes that his images are accurate representations of the world.
    g'day all
    interesting comments

i agree withn David that if he misleads it devalues his work, but is darkroom manipulation ok?

how much is ok?

do we accept and value darkroom manipulation more than we do digital manipulation?

why?

Ray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think it's fake but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a modern version of them huge grasshopper postcard photos from a bunch of years ago.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh crap! I just can't stop myself tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    do we accept and value darkroom manipulation more than we do digital manipulation?
    Me? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    why?
    Because every subsequent print made of that image would have to exhibit the same control of processes, the same mastery of craft to produce. There are so many malicious 'Darklings' (as I call them) lurking in darkrooms ready to inject mystifying variables into the dodging, burning, masking, developing, fixing, washing, toning, drying, spotting, matting and framing sequences of each and every photograph. Only the truly vigilant endure over the Darkling hoard!

Then again...you could just push a button.

Put another way; if I saw two quilts which were identical in every way, but one was made by hand and the other made by machine, I'd prefer the hand made one. Call me crazy...but the hand of the artist is important to me.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-10-2007 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    ...Call me crazy...but the hand of the artist is important to me.

Murray
    Me too. As far as this image goes it looks manipulated to me too. The fact that he lists how long he waited for the light for each image suggests he is trying to add value somehow. I dont care whether a person waits 0.2 seconds for the light if the image is a good one. Some of his other images look reasonably straight but this one does not seem to add up...but then again I have never been to this area and am not familiar with the ground and climatic factors that could give unusual effects. I dont see how you would get such a crisp line between that organge glow on the ground and the black whatever it is. slide film might not have the greatest range on earth but it is not that bad. I would have expected it to have reocrded something of a dark background perhaps of rock.

No doubt about it, the image looks great. I personally like to feel that images broadly reflect a reality even if there is a departure in interpretation and presentation of that. If an image has been doctored in a way that crosses that reality line, I lose all interest. I dont know where that line is until I see the image. With this one, it leaves me feeling uncertain which pretty well prevent me from being able to enjoy the image.
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 07-11-2007 at 03:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This image looks worked I did a similar dramatic effect on a landscape based in Australia. It can be done in darkroom and more easily in photoshop. If I were printing it from the Transperancy in the darkroom I would look at masking off the sky to ensure it is going to print black then expose the image for the fore ground and then in a third step burn in the yellow glow with a different filtration. I don't know the location in this shot, but would love the photographer to share more information as to the images creation. I really like this image and I love images that make us think.

~steve

Images
    BOGUS
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin