Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,706   Online: 881

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How was this Death Vally

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/details.php?id=84&gid=6&

Go to the page listed above, take a good look and tell me how the photographer got this lighting effect at the Racetrack in Death Valley. I know where it was shot and the direction the camera was facing and can't figure out how to do it without double or triple exposing, filtering and major manipulation in the darkroom. If you know how to do this I would be interested in hearing how is is done 'naturally' using only available light.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is a bit suspect. When you consider the lighting is sidelighting and you have this orange "glow" in the background. Since his notes only indicate a single 1 second exposure there would have to be either a major secondary light - to get the glow or a lot of split neutral density filters (even then, I don't think it would work). I think you are right about there being some major manipulation.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A giant Presto Log burning just over the horizon?

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it was manipulated however I have seen similar affects. Here's how it could happen in real life:

Sun coming up low, very yellowish-red and to the right of the rocks. A large cloud in the distance and directly behind the rocks and reflecting the warm light of the sun onto the racetrack. What looks manipulated to me is the very hard edge of the black area. I assume that is the edge of the mountains, the very straight edge bothers me, but I have seen a similar affect before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day War
    maybe it was unintentional and caused by a light leak or a double exposure

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As Vaughn already pointed out, this is the clown who got busted for setting fires in Arches National Park that left permenant damage to the rocks.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A giant Presto Log burning just over the horizon?
    I think Duraflame is his log of choice.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well, my wife, who has seen several race track images, said in less than 10 seconds when I said look at this shot, color was 'doctored' and the mountains were removed..

I think it looks too photoshopped.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You know the guy might be a bit of a "salesman" but he has a good eye. I really don't give a crap how he generates his images. To me it's about creating art, not the process. With the exception of techniques that endanger the landscape we are trying to enshrine with our images.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    You know the guy might be a bit of a "salesman" but he has a good eye. I really don't give a crap how he generates his images. To me it's about creating art, not the process. With the exception of techniques that endanger the landscape we are trying to enshrine with our images.
    I mostly agree with you but I also feel it matters whether or not the image's accompanying "field notes" create an accurate impression.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin