Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 678

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Blast from the past

I spend an inordinate amount of time perambulating around archive.org and have discovered many fascinating things. There are many school films, and some of my favourites come from the Your Life's Work series. Here is Photography, circa 1946

Another interesting one, at least from a sociological perspective, is The Girl on the Magazine Cover, from 1940. Be warned, the narrator's language reflects the attitudes of the time. These days, it sounds like a skit from Saturday Night Live. It would be interesting to send someone out to talk like this, with a hidden camera.

For those interested in movies and/or photographic chemistry, the American Chemical Society's film The Alchemist in Hollywood Part 1 and Part 2 shows how motion picture film was processed in the 40s. Extremely interesting, but quite dry at times.

There are many, many more films and books on this site, with many areas of interest. Oh yes, and while this is unrelated to photography, it is just too good to miss. Presenting the infamous (at least on this continent) Duck and Cover, of 1951 vintage. Enjoy!

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, archive.org is an excellent place. My recent discoveries there have nothing to do with photography, but I have downloaded episodes of 'Dragnet' when it was a radio show. Also episodes of 'Adventures in Dimension X' a science fiction radio show. The one I listened to had a couple of stories by Ray Bradbury. This stuff is all public domain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin