Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,501   Online: 853

Thread: April 1927

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

April 1927

What happened "At dawn, on a chill April 17 in 1927", 80 years ago this month? It was the beginning of a life time of work that has influenced a great many photographers and artists world wide.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What happened "At dawn, on a chill April 17 in 1927", 80 years ago this month? It was the beginning of a life time of work that has influenced a great many photographers and artists world wide.
    Ansel Adams set out to make his "Monolith, The Face Of Half Dome", the photograph where, for the very first time, he visualised how his image should appear as a finished print, at the time of the exposure of the negative.

Actually, he made two exposures of this subject, the first through a yellow filter. Immediately after making the first exposure, he realised that this negative could not give him the print that would match the image he saw in his mind's eye, and, using his one remaining glass plate, he made another exposure through a deep red filter.

I think that he used a 6.5"x8.5" camera to make this photograph, not the 8"x10".

Mike Sullivan
    Last edited by Zathras; 05-10-2007 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    First television broadcast, starring Herbert Hoover and ushering in the new era of electronic photography.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bjorke,
    to my knowledge there was an other show: January 1926, by J.L. Baird in the UK.
    This is not posted to correct you, but rather to indicate we all are on thin ice when referring to `firsts´, especially with reference to technological advances, and especially their publication. (I got this show from a just acquired brochure, and thus by accident at hand: The EBU Review - 50 Years of Television, where I found this somewhere; there is no `first´ given.)

Concerning Adams,

It would be interesting to know when he became influential in North America and when in Europe.
    (Concerning what I said above, here one is less on thin ice but rather on water.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, I knew the answer, but was beat to it. I saw in a video where he commented it was the first picture that he can say that he really knew what he was doing and that he had grasped the feeling of visualization, or something to that affect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curt

Ansel Adams set out to make his "Monolith, The Face Of Half Dome", the photograph where, for the very first time, he visualised how his image should appear as a finished print, at the time of the exposure of the negative.

Actually, he made two exposures of this subject, the first through a yellow filter. Immediately after making the first exposure, he realised that this negative could not give him the print that would match the image he saw in his mind's eye, and, using his one remaining glass plate, he made another exposure through a deep red filter.

I think that he used a 6.5"x8.5" camera to make this photograph, not the 8"x10".

Mike Sullivan

It took a while but yes, Mike you are correct and Chuck you are too. I believe it was pivot point in photography and I am glad he articulated it to the masses. Many may have been on to or doing it but he actually knew and said something concrete about it. And isn't it a really beautiful photograph?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=AgX;466822]bjorke,
    we all are on thin ice when referring to `firsts´, especially with reference to technological advances, and especially their publication. (I got this show from a just acquired brochure, and thus by accident at hand: The EBU Review - 50 Years of Television, where I found this somewhere; there is no `first´ given.)

I read somewhere that that the 50th Anniversary of television was celebrated no less than three times, depending on the expert author.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin