Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,177   Online: 1011

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format

SL Tribune Story, The Westons and Carmel

I just thought I'd share this article that appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune yesterday, it looks like it was actually done by the LA Times.
    It's an article on the Westons and their impact on Carmel then and now.
    Brian
    http://www.sltrib.com/travel/ci_5874596
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian View Post
    I just thought I'd share this article that appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune yesterday, it looks like it was actually done by the LA Times.
    It's an article on the Westons and their impact on Carmel then and now.
    Brian
    http://www.sltrib.com/travel/ci_5874596

It was a pretty good article. Lean in spots, but that's what Newpapers are. After all, how can you sum up multiple lives and careers in a thousand words. I appreciate you posting it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, another thanks for posting.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Weston, etc.

I have attended two workshops at the Weston house: the first, in 2005, was a nude shoot involving four female models and two male models, and the second, in 2006, involved large format photography during which I used an 8x10 camera with Kim Weston at Point Lobos. I grew up in the San Francisco area and in my late teens I visited Carmel once a year with a friend of my family. Back then, I loved going in the various galleries to view oil paintings and photographs. A painting that has been glued to my memory since I saw it in a gallery in Carmel in the 1960s was approximately 4 feet wide and 10 feet tall and contained a shipwreck on a rocky beach in Europe. It was so dazzling with its amazing lighting and composition! During both workshops, I lodged in a motel in downtown Carmel and went out at night to somewhat explore the galleries, but they did not enchant me to the extent they did when I was young. Furthermore, I spent an entire morning in Carmel with my Leica camera, looking for decisive moments on just about every street, and I found nothing of interest to capture. I did, however, discover an outstanding Italian restaurant and I ate there three nights in a row. That reminded me of home, where my mate and I cook recipes from around the world daily and make fresh bread from scratch every four weeks in our new Thermador professional stove whose oven can take four bread pans at once (versus our old, 30+ year-old stove that existed before it which held only two pans). Otherwise, I am in my darkroom developing film and making prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin