Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,473   Online: 1183

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Henri Cartier - Bresson

I found a great site on a great photographer with a great slide show. Isn't it good to see something different one and a while?

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/...%20-%20Bresson

And an interview. . .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...57481455007235
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. Thanks for that...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks indeed!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is indeed remarkable. Just when Cartier-Bresson passed away a few years back, I was working at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. They have a fair collection of his work, and of course they exhibited a few of them in memoriam. They burned to my memory like glue, and most of them were represented here. I still marvel at this man's eye and sense of place, and I think I will never stop.

Thanks, Curt.

- Thomas

Shooter
    35mm
    Very comprehensive site. Thanks. In the UK magazine Amateur Photographer a week or so ago there was a very short article on his widow who was a good photographer in her own right.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in the book store and found one of his books, when I got home I did a web search and was very pleased to find the site. It's not often I get as lucky as this.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I was in the book store and found one of his books, when I got home I did a web search and was very pleased to find the site. It's not often I get as lucky as this.
    Curt
    Curt,

You might want to contact Magnum PARIS and ask them which Cartier-Bresson books they have in stock (often, they have books by their photographers which can't be found elsewhere) http://agency.magnumphotos.com/about/contact/paris.aspx

Also, check out the Fondation Henri-Cartier Bresson, also here in Paris (http://www.henricartierbresson.org/index_en.htm).

Secret No. 3: The Magnum Print room. If-and-when you come to Paris, drop by Magnum and shop their stock of original prints. You sit in a private room and they bring out boxes of prints from their achives. It's surreal. This stock just became available a few years ago when digital photography took its toll and reduced the necessity for "hard copy" prints. While you search for your bargain, it's kind of cool to be able to sift through the piles of so many classic images! (Contact India at Magnum ... that's her first name)

Something to get off my chest about Cartier-Bresson, for whose work I have the utmost respect: I spoke with him in 1999 to verify a quote widely attributed to him. I think it was in the 1950's that he supposedly said —of West Coast photographers such as Adams and Weston— , "I don't understand these guys.. photographing rocks and trees, when the whole world is falling apart". I have always found the idea that one type of photography should be thought of as "more valid" than another totally stupid. (I've argued frequently with a few French colleagues about this). I also wanted to know why he didn't seem to understand that people —artists— naturally photograph (or paint, or sketch, or write music about) things within their universe. I told him that when war and large populations of people are part of one's universe, that's what they photograph. When one is surrounded by a world of rocks and trees, well ....that's what they photograph. He tended to agree with me but he wormed his way out of taking credit for the quote by saying that he didn't remember if he had said it or not (subtle difference with "I don't remember saying it". Welcome to the world of French diplomacy!). In any case, he didn't deny saying it.

Anyway, he and I were in harmony with the appreciation of the work of his friend, Walker Evans. He added that he prefered the work of Evans to that of Ansel Adams.

Vive le open-mindedness.

Christopher

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin