Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,349   Online: 798

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Elliott Erwitt Snaps - I am in awe

I received this book yesterday. I am in awe. Until now, I've never really seen too much of Erwitt's work. The man is a genius. His eyes are amazing. I'm usually not a lover of "street" photography, but this is different and better than any I've seen. I found myself laughing, sighing, and wowing out loud. The book has over 500 photographs. I am just halfway through it, so will get more joy from it tonight. Highly recommended!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love Erwitt. He has that ability to show the humor in fleeting situations unlike anyone else I've ever seen. One of his quotes I will always remember: "Photography is not about thinking--photography is about seeing."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also like Elliott Erwitt very much. A wry sense of humour - and also his personal work of his family (families) is some of the best I've seen. Very tender, very moody.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is good to hear as my copy is in the post!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a collection of around 50 photos from Erwitt on the Magnum site.. www.magnumphotos.com. Click on "Photographers" at the top and you can go to a list that he's on. A skilled photographer, no doubt!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    35mm
    I have seldom seen a photographer's work where each photo excited my interest. His does. His quirky thoughtfulness and pleasant sense of humour is on my wavelength.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a great book - personally I like how you can understand the message - and it is so clever - but it is very difficult to explain in words. It proves visual genius and esp in use of the camera.

Incidentally (very incidentally) his 'quirky thoughtfulness and pleasant sense of humour' seems to be mainly in his images. Like many of the best comedians he can be very dark and terse in person, with seemingly little patience for fools.

The Magnum Agency enabled him to nurture his particular approach to photography over a long time. He has another good quote "It is about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's the great thing about Erwitt -- it's not street photography. It's visual poetry and rhetoric that just happens to be taken in the street.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    That's the great thing about Erwitt -- it's not street photography. It's visual poetry and rhetoric that just happens to be taken in the street.
    That rather depends on how one defines street photography. I tend to use the work of Erwitt, HCB, Doisneau, and Lartigue as operational definitions. There certainly is a lot of bad photography which claims the label street, and perhaps I am myself merely adding to that festering pile, but I would prefer to call that simply bad photography rather than condemning street as a genre. The cheap shots of those fallen on hard luck which many complain of are not street; they are just cynical slights made visual. The best street is indeed poetic, and Elliott is a treasure of that discipline.

"It's good when you can't explain a picture, because that means it's visual." - E.E.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin