Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,979   Online: 809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Les McLean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe that any photographer who maintains secrets and is unwilling to discuss technique probably does so for a reason; i.e., scratch the surface a little and what you will find is some gimmick that this alleged artist has pounded into the dirt as a substitute for any real accomplishment. The photographers that I've learned from have all been very emphatic in their assertions that they have no secrets. It shows in their work, which is fine in a self-assured way, and never in the least bit affectatious.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haris,

There is no reason for you to apologise for your comment. Clearly there was no offence meant and I was in no way offended, you simply wrote what you felt. I wish that I were 33 again and could look forward to another 30 to 40 years of making photographs. I sure that you will achieve in photography more than you set out to do especially if you always look forward and work hard at it.

Aggie,

Your description of my being a "teddy bear" brought a smile to my face for my wife sometimes calls me Paddington after the bear for I wear lots of smocks instead of jackets.

"Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Hey Les,

Do you ever do workshops? Would you ever consider doing one while on a trip the US?

I learned a TON from your book, as I have mentioned before, and I'll bet that actually seeing you do the things you wrote about and being able to ask you nuance questions would be of tremendous value.

dgh

David G Hall

Images
    I'd be up for one on the west coast
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Apr 28 2003, 09:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Hey Les,

Do you ever do workshops? Would you ever consider doing one while on a trip the US?

I learned a TON from your book, as I have mentioned before, and I&#39;ll bet that actually seeing you do the things you wrote about and being able to ask you nuance questions would be of tremendous value.

dgh </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    David and Brian,

I regularly do darkroom and street photography workshops in the UK and have done workshops in Maryland for Calumet before they discontinued the program. I&#39;d love to do a darkroom workshop in California. I&#39;m planning a photographic trip to the south west in November of this year, in fact I spent an hour this afternoon checking out flights with the intention of booking in the next week or so. If there is sufficient interest in a workshop with a possibility of doing it then I will delay the booking until something could be sorted out.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

November would be great. If you could actually come to California...southern or northern, perhaps several of us here would be able to able to come together in one place at the same time. AND, maybe if we&#39;re really lucky, that Donald Miller or EricR could come too...

Seriously, you should organize something, Les. I think you have seen that there are enough of us here who have read your book, and impressed, and would love more.

dgh
    David G Hall

Images
    Les, I&#39;ll email you off list to chat about this. I may know of a place to do something like this in the San Francisco / Bay Area.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have only recently started photography (started in 2001/2), but lots of Les&#39; advice in the Black & White mag has helped a lot with printing, and with some of the digital techie things.

I have most of the back issues up in the darkroom, and mean to read them sometime. (It&#39;s a good mag, but it&#39;s a shame they don&#39;t do a colour version as well.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have too many hobbies. My wife tells me this all the time. Photography is truely unique though. I am not really a dummy, but I think I could WORK_AT making fine and interesting prints for at least 3 score more years and still not acheive all I would like to acheive. Most other endeavors can be mastered to the point that, like tic tac toe, are not really worth the effort anymore. Everytime I go into the field or makeshift studio and shoot film, everytime I go in my darkroom and develop film and make prints, I again realize just how challenging this whole thing is. There are those that make it look easy; I guess I am not one of them. Every success I have is setting at the top of a heap of failures --- five feet tall. The funny thing is, I feel like I have gotten somewhere. I have a clue about composition. I see interesting things and know how to compose and spot meter and choose which film and developer and exposure and development compensation to get the contrast I want.

And yet after many years and more money and time than I would ever admit, I daily feel like I am still closer to the beginning of the trail than even nearing the middle. So the only shortcut is to "stand on the shoulders of giants" and I am always grateful for the good folks that share their successes. Not one of us invented this all from scratch but many have taken all they have gleaned from others either from books or in person or now -- on the net or in workshops and taken that knowege to the next level. Invent where existing methods are lacking. Then share with others who would see the benefit.

We all have a kind of unique way of seeing the world and I would hope that for art, we try to please ourselves. I am still searching for my "Style" that which I seek to do that is my unique specialty. That thing I get really good at - my niche. I have ideas and I explore them. No one really neads to be a clone of someone else. But I very much appreciate the style of Ansel in his later printings, the way Lange captured peoples&#39; spirit, the way Schatz makes skin into a landscape. There were many specific skills it took to make their vision pop on paper. I guess I don&#39;t want to be any one of them or all of them, I want to figure out what is the unique art I see around me and learn the skills to make -THAT- pop on paper. So thanks to Les and Barry Thornton and Adams and all the other folks that I have learned so much from and still haven&#39;t figured it all out. But when I do ...... hell will freeze over and you all will be the first to know&#33; Thanks for this exchange of ideas - well worth the time and energy&#33; It is a very worthwhile journey.

Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin