Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,515   Online: 1016

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fhovie @ May 4 2003, 04:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    And yet after many years and more money and time than I would ever admit, I daily feel like I am still closer to the beginning of the trail than even nearing the middle.

We all have a kind of unique way of seeing the world and I would hope that for art, we try to please ourselves. I am still searching for my "Style" that which I seek to do that is my unique specialty. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    The learning of the "technology" never stops. Once learned, it is a lot like riding a bicycle - it never leaves you.

Being closer to the "beginning" than the "middle"? I, for one, have spent the last couple of years trying to do just that - ignore much of the well-meaning advice of *many* critics - and return to the place where I could "see" through the eyes of a child - the "beginning".

A child&#39;s vision is exactly what I want - to "see" a world full of beauty and wonder. An example would come from my youngest daughter - when she was really little, she was fascinated by rocks. Common rocks. She had her room "filled" with rocks that you and I would not even give a second glance. To HER eyes: "Look at this one .. see all the pretty sparkles&#33;", and "This one - look at the prety blue and yellow swirls.."

I think we were all like that, once.. but critical advice from one source or another - changes all that. Not that it is "bad advice" or that the "powers that be" are trying to keep us down in some manner or other - but all critique - judgements - of one kind or another - "Honestly - all those rocks&#33;&#33; They aren&#39;t worth anything - you&#39;ve got to get rid of them." - has as its ultimate end, the destruction of our individual "style".

Whether "good", "bad" or "indifferent" in the eyes of someone else - anyone else - every piece of work we do brings us closer to our "style", whether we work at it or not.

Somene once wrote "You cannot find your Style. Your Style will find you."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ed,
    Very well stated. I really like that.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Congratulations to Les!!!!

I just got the latest, No.27 November issue of "Black&White". Nice going Les, enjoyed the article.

Truly, dr bob.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And congratulations to Les too for his article about Richard Ross/RH Designs in the December (sorry you guys in the States!) issue of "Black & White". I enjoyed reading it a lot! Richard deserves to get the publicity, he makes lovely gear for us darkroom workers, and is a great friend too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the ZoneMaster II and it is a fantastic device. Saves loads of money because you waste less paper, and lots of precious time too. It earns its keep :o)

I have no experience with flashing paper but have been told very recently by a certain somebody that it is well worth the effort.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry, wrong Emoticon. Let me try again.....
    :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin