Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,393   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

one and one is one

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Hollan...s_i971954_.htm

I always liked this photograph, but I just didn't know enough about it. What do you think?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I guess Edward and Brett were pretty close!

(picture was done by Weston in 1971)

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 05-27-2007 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you looking to find out?

To me it is an extremely elegant take on a classic composition. It is very pretty and (probably -- as I've never seen an original) an excellent piece of craftsmanship.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is amusing. And sad.

The funny thing is that it has never been a piece that I felt a strong affinity toward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's certainly not the best he did, some people get excited over it. It's in a book I have on him, two page spread but that's not the point here.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    It's certainly not the best he did, some people get excited over it. It's in a book I have on him, two page spread but that's not the point here.
    Yes, I realize your point and their mistake. The mistake is what's amusing and sad.

My second sentence was (is) my reaction to Holland Canal.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I don't know. I never liked Edward Weston very much, but I do like this one.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I realize your point and their mistake. The mistake is what's amusing and sad.

My second sentence was (is) my reaction to Holland Canal.
    I understand what you are saying Mike. In response to the photo, it's ok but not a winner in my opinion. It is sad, I haven't run across such mistake before, thought it was interesting and of course sad.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I find it a pleasing image. Doesn't have the punch that other Brett Weston images have. Too bad the seller doesn't have a clue, and at that price, the image becomes "Musak". Knowing Brett destroyed certain negatives so that others couldn't print from them makes me wonder if his estate is being served well with cheap poster knock offs.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the shot a lot, wonderful balance of tones. I live beside the River Cam, and have been wondering how to photograph it. Most of it is in shade and I was struggling to visualise a successful image. This image has helped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin