Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,450   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherrie Levine

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post

I think the fact that Levine used such extremely WELL RECOGNIZED images proves that her intention was NOT to take credit for the aesthetic merits of those works in question. And this is the crux of the whole argument, as presented, against Levine. And this is the core of the matter as far as copyright legislation goes, too. I welcome anyone to try to counter this argument - but I doubt you'll get very far.

That is exactly what I said above. Levine is making no attempt to hide the fact that she is appropriating the images. Clearly her "art" and artist voice stand alone in the statement she is trying to express by doing this, and not in the actual photograph. She has not only appropriated photographs, but also sculptures, including Dushamp's "Fountain", which also caused alot of controversy by placing a urinal in the gallery space in 1917 and calling it art. Levine recreated the same uninal in polished bronze.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Look - I don't want to come off as unfair or mean - but it seems to me that you're really asking for it. Looking at the stuff on your website - one might think you're delusional about precisely this topic, Kevin. At least Levine is honest about what she's trying to do, not to mention daring in the extreme. Your argument is just a rehash of 19th century painters' arguments against photography.
    In reference to me you make no sense at all and it just show your lack of maturity and I will accept your apology later.

Again thank for the compliments and if I am delusional then that is why I take excellent abstracts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I think I got it, Ryan - I just hijacked your ASCII to make the point about da Vinci vs. Levine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    In reference to me you make no sense at all and it just show your lack of maturity and I will accept your apology later.

Again thank for the compliments and if I am delusional then that is why I take excellent abstracts.
    Well - I'm really not sure what you mean, Kevin. You're pointing the finger at Levine and accusing her of ripping off someone else - when, in fact - she is doing QUITE the opposite (except on the most superficial of all levels-you'd have to be a PRETTY shallow person to even START to think she's trying to ride on Walker Evans, or others' coattails). You have the nerve to make a moral judgement against Levine - but looking at your own 'work' - all I see is ansel adams books. Let's be a little bit honest here, please. I am only asking you to take responsibility for you (irresponsible) invective. If you're going to level a moral judgement on something you'd better be careful to have a clean slate yourself, it seems to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can think of a couple of parallels to Levine's work that make me feel more comfortable about it.

1) the use of "sampling" in a lot of recent music, wherein samples from another's work are incorporated in the more recent work. Where it works well, it is because of the contrast and context between the old and the new; and

2) Andy Warhol and his many images of the familiar or even the mundane. Warhol's "art" is as much in the implied comment about those images, as it is in the images themselves.

I don't think there is any dispute that Levine's work is photographic - it is much more like a collage of one. It truly does not have any value, unless you do know the title, and do know something about the purpose and context of the piece (not the original, but the object that is created by copying the original).

I also think that the artistic medium she uses isn't the medium of photography, but rather it is akin to written social commentary.

It is a type of "performance art" that is highly analytical, and thus likely to appeal to relatively few people, but to say that her process (i.e. the action of creating a copy for the purpose of examining the relationship between originals and that which is created when one makes a copy) is incapable of being a form of artistic expression, is somewhat too limited.

I am not in the market to buy one, but I think they are thought provoking and do have value.

Matt

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yeah I think I got it, Ryan - I just hijacked your ASCII to make the point about da Vinci vs. Levine.

I'm not sure what a ASCII is, but whatever. Okay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    I'm not sure what a ASCII is, but whatever. Okay.
    text.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    text.
    Oh! Haha. Okay. That's fine. I will do the same right back to you

You should have called your post "after Ryan McIntosh"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    Though - I will admit (since I'm trying to support the idea of honesty here) - that when I landed on your site, Kevin, I hit the landscape page and didn't see the other stuff... so my comment wasn't ENTIRELY true or fair.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Well - I'm really not sure what you mean, Kevin. You're pointing the finger at Levine and accusing her of ripping off someone else - when, in fact - she is doing QUITE the opposite (except on the most superficial of all levels-you'd have to be a PRETTY shallow person to even START to think she's trying to ride on Walker Evans, or others' coattails). You have the nerve to make a moral judgement against Levine - but looking at your own 'work' - all I see is ansel adams books. Let's be a little bit honest here, please. I am only asking you to take responsibility for you (irresponsible) invective. If you're going to level a moral judgement on something you'd better be careful to have a clean slate yourself, it seems to me.
    I call it as I see it. I go to a place, see something I like and photograph it. She goes to a store, buys a poster and copies it then puts it on display. I got my morals in check thank you very much. I don't believe stealing is art period and I am standing by what I said.

And at the same time I do respect your opinions and have no ill will towards you for the negative comments towards me.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin