Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,488   Online: 939

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sherrie Levine

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    John and Matthew, thank you very much. Makes more sense now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeez Matthew, why'd ya have to put the brakes on the thread with such clear articulation and logic? GAWD man, have you learned nothing from these threads?

Regards, Art. (There goes a perfectly good bag of popcorn)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    sorry art (you, not the idealized notion)- my fault, a good batch of popcorn wasted is really a shame... i mean, by the time you get the popcorn to butter to salt ratio just right you start feeling frisky and want to add just a touch of sugar only to realize that now you've upset the whole mess...

and michael - you're articulation of this mess is right on... what's funny is the apparent inability here for some people to appreciate what they don't like or doesn't fit within their little technical bubbles. hell, i think this work is absolute garbage when discussed in the mileu of the fine art world, not because it's not a "good" photograph or it's plagiarised, but because it's simply way too didactic and obvious - a combination that makes me feel like i'm in church and i don't go to church! the thing about it though is that it's pretty obvious as what's going on in terms of image recontextualization and has NOTHING to do with the photograph per se and should not be critiqued as such...

i just wish this forum would stay away from discussions of "what is art" and "why is this photograph worth $_______ when it is out of focus" when, while many here are certainly brilliant photographers and master technicians, it seems like many do not have an in-depth understanding of art history or contemporary art world experience/knowledge. this is not to degrade anyone, i just think that there two different areas of expertise here that are getting confused. there is a major diffference having your "photograph" critiqued from a photographically technical point of view and having it critiqued from the p.o.v. of the contemporary art world - both equally valid, just REALLY REALLY different and up to the creator of such image to determine the context in which it should be seen.

again, my $0.o2 - stop critiqueing dogs as cats! they are wholly unsuccessful as such.
    Last edited by matthewbetcher; 05-28-2007 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "the age of nature is past; it has finally exhausted the patience of all sensitive minds by the loathsome monotony of its landscapes and skies." naturaimmemorial.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewbetcher View Post
    i just wish this forum would stay away from discussions of "what is art" and "why is this photograph worth $_______ when it is out of focus" when, <snip>

again, my $0.o2 - stop critiqueing dogs as cats! they are wholly unsuccessful as such.
    There you go again spoiling a perfectly good source of entertainment. What now? Soon you'll be telling'em not to post pictures of penises in the gallery. Sheesh.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The terror that art strikes into the hearts of some of the fine photographers here suggests that if this were an oil painting website, Bob Ross would be their patron saint.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the question here is of authenticity and whether or not plagiarism is at work

Ummmm.... Didn't I say that a dozen threads ago....?????
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The terror that art strikes into the hearts of some of the fine photographers here suggests that if this were an oil painting website, Bob Ross would be their patron saint.
    Didn't he have a happy little heart attack? I did like him better than that nut who attacked the canvas with his spade and yelled while doing it. Stress relief while doing art? Maybe I should do some yelling out when photographing.

ON WITH THE MIGHTY FILTER!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    UP WITH THE CABLE RELEASE!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    SNAP GOES THE STEEL SHUTTER!!!!!! :rolleyes:

GRAB THE GOD DAMMM CASE AND LETS GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

...and now a tiny little dear is resting next to the lake...
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Didn't he have a happy little heart attack? I did like him better than that nut who attacked the canvas with his spade and yelled while doing it. Stress relief while doing art? Maybe I should do some yelling out when photographing.

ON WITH THE MIGHTY FILTER!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    UP WITH THE CABLE RELEASE!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    SNAP GOES THE STEEL SHUTTER!!!!!! :rolleyes:

GRAB THE GOD DAMMM CASE AND LETS GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

...and now a tiny little dear is resting next to the lake...
    That's funny...and I'm not even familiar with the painter you lampoon.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think is a huge rip off of someone else's work with an essay or subtext used to justify it. It just seems consistent with the whole current trend of "artists" not actually creating something but merely co-opting the work of others. It's the Emperor's clothes. What are they actually contributing to the advancement of art? All it seems is an easy way to advance themselves on the backs of others, claim to be artists while not actually producing art.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin