Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,941   Online: 793

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sherrie Levine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... is there an echo in here???

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    ... is there an echo in here???

:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ping, ping, ping
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    I think is a huge rip off of someone else's work with an essay or subtext used to justify it. It just seems consistent with the whole current trend of "artists" not actually creating something but merely co-opting the work of others. It's the Emperor's clothes. What are they actually contributing to the advancement of art? All it seems is an easy way to advance themselves on the backs of others, claim to be artists while not actually producing art.
    Finally someone with common sense. That is what I have been trying to say but got shredded to pieces over it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin... I think we're all feeling a little bit battle-weary here...! It just gets quite BORING after awhile - having carefully illustrated arguments fall on deaf ears. The fact that nobody really responded to the guy isn't a testament to accord... so much as a testament to his (chosen) ignorance of the rest of what was said here, and of the actual work (and it's context). Don't worry though - I'm SURE you're not alone in your opinions. You've got lots of friends here. Maybe we can start a little subforum for you guys, and you can spend the whole day bashing things you dislike!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Kevin... I think we're all feeling a little bit battle-weary here...! It just gets quite BORING after awhile - having carefully illustrated arguments fall on deaf ears. The fact that nobody really responded to the guy isn't a testament to accord... so much as a testament to his (chosen) ignorance of the rest of what was said here, and of the actual work (and it's context). Don't worry though - I'm SURE you're not alone in your opinions. You've got lots of friends here. Maybe we can start a little subforum for you guys, and you can spend the whole day bashing things you dislike!
    Jonathan,

I am getting a little tired of your grandstanding, annoying attitude, last word BS and of course your ignorant big and loud mouth. I guess this is because you are from LA where everyone there thinks they are the big man! Well Jonnieboy, I hate to the baron of bad news, but to break it to you gently so I don't crush your fragile pathetic little ego, you aren’t, and frankly I have had enough of your belittling attitude and dripple.

A guy from largeformat wanted me about you, and now I see why. I used to give everyone a chance but you are someone I want nothing to do with. You are immature, pathetic and annoying to say the least. If you don’t like what I have to say TS and hit the ignore button and shut your that whole in your face they call a mouth. I forgot you are the authority. Unfortunately, I have to lower my self to you immature level to make sure you understand where I am coming from, and for this I must apologize to all the APUG members that are indeed mature. Because I realize that you most likely will not understand reason or logic, piss off.

If you want to get in a last word pissing contest I am all for it as maturity and you do not seem to go hand it hand. Let your ego boast and your BS spew as we can all see the how deep it can get.

Just let me get my boots and shovel before. Grab the popcorn and beer as this looks like it is going to be a long one.

I tried to be mature and walk away but I am now pissed off.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    As with all conceptual art that is more based on the idea than the visual aspects, not everyone is going to be able to grasp the meaning and fully understand the concept, no matter how clearly it is stated or how long it's debated about. That is perfectly okay.

There is absolutly no reason for anyone to be getting angry, just because one does not see eye-to-eye on something as silly as the meaning of a piece of art.

Maybe this thread should all be put to rest, as it seems to have moved away from the original topic to more personal attacks and pointless name calling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
    Jonathan,

I am getting a little tired of your grandstanding, annoying attitude, last word BS and of course your ignorant big and loud mouth. I guess this is because you are from LA where everyone there thinks they are the big man! Well Jonnieboy, I hate to the baron of bad news, but to break it to you gently so I don't crush your fragile pathetic little ego, you arenít, and frankly I have had enough of your belittling attitude and dripple.

A guy from largeformat wanted me about you, and now I see why. I used to give everyone a chance but you are someone I want nothing to do with. You are immature, pathetic and annoying to say the least. If you donít like what I have to say TS and hit the ignore button and shut your that whole in your face they call a mouth. I forgot you are the authority. Unfortunately, I have to lower my self to you immature level to make sure you understand where I am coming from, and for this I must apologize to all the APUG members that are indeed mature. Because I realize that you most likely will not understand reason or logic, piss off.

If you want to get in a last word pissing contest I am all for it as maturity and you do not seem to go hand it hand. Let your ego boast and your BS spew as we can all see the how deep it can get.

Just let me get my boots and shovel before. Grab the popcorn and beer as this looks like it is going to be a long one.

I tried to be mature and walk away but I am now pissed off.
    Well - I'm sorry kevin, to have an attitude you find inflammatory. Please understand though - that I find your words quite offensive. It makes ME DE-fensive. I think it's not really appropriate to this place to be ganging up on photographers/artists and talk about what crap their work is. Hell - there are enough photographers out there whose work I think isn't so worthy of merit - in MY book - but you definitely WON'T see me using such harsh words as you use to judge them. I think it's in very poor taste. Again - sorry if I've angered you. Maybe I should have expressed things THIS way before - instead of tearing into you. Sometimes - well, I can't help it... I'll admit though - there DEFINITELY are times I should just take a few breaths before responding. Maybe we can both learn from that... at any rate - I hope you understand my point... and why I've responded to your posts this way. I guess it just seems bullyish to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll hand it to you, though, Kevin... where others had the good sense to stay silent - I had to open my big yap. But please.. do not EVER think there is ANY ill will coming from me. I think if we were conversing in person you might realize that. Internet forums can be kinda screwy sometimes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    As with all conceptual art that is more based on the idea than the visual aspects, not everyone is going to be able to grasp the meaning and fully understand the concept, no matter how clearly it is stated or how long it's debated about. That is perfectly okay.
    Everyone has ideas, the hard part of ideas is making them a reality. It would be easy for me, or most people, to visualize an image like "Moonrise Hernandez" etc, the thing that requires the talent, effort and dedication is actually producing the work. I can imagine free power from fusion, hydrogen powered cars that only leave pure water as waste, free medical care for everyone, does that make me some sort of genius or artist?

Those that can do, those that can't talk about it.

The problem is that for the most part the art establishment is not run by the artists, it's run by the academics and art business people. The art academics don't produce art, they talk about it, they are therefore more comfortable dealing with artists who use words to explain what they're doing instead of dealing with artists who produce work that requires no explanation. Jaw droppingly beautiful art requires no explanation, no justification, it stands on it's own merits. What does that leave for the academics to discuss? Composition,light, technique? That's not very satisfying for them. Better to discuss how artist X is making a statement against art genre Y, it's all academic politics and trying to make a name for yourself as a curator by finding something that will garner attention or controversy. There's no controversy in beauty, there's no accalim for the curator who just puts on beautiful shows, they get known, and advanced by getting in the newspapers for the show that the mayor wants to ban. That's cutting edge, that's pushing the boundaries. Having a show with turds on a plate will make you famous, having a show with beautifully crafted work will just enable you, maybe, to pay your rent.
    Last edited by Early Riser; 05-31-2007 at 08:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin