Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,417   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    What was the gear of rodchenko ? I want to own one of his cameras. What do you advise cheapest ?

Best ,
    Mustafa Umut Sarac
    Sort of an aside, but not very. A few years ago I saw a Rodchenko exhibition in Arles -- and it was AWFUL! I've always been a great admirer of his work, and buy books with Rodchenkos I haven't seen, but if this was the only Rodchenko I'd ever seen, I'd wonder what the fuss was about. They were much less interesting pictures than I'd seen published, but what astonished me was the abysmal quality of the printing. I very strongly suspect that his work looked better in repro than original, i.e. that his strength was composition and imagination, not processing or printing. Much the same seems to be true of Drticol: I saw original prints at Vevey.

Incidentally, no, an Elmax and an Elmar are different: 5-glass and 4-glass. And FSU Elmar/Tessar-type lenses are seldom of the quality of Elmars.

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ehrm yes.

I do own both a 13x18cm plate camera, early 1900's, German - the "original" from which the FKD's were modelled.

And a handful of 9x12cm plate cameras.

And a USSR Leica-like - a FED-2. With a USSR Elmar copy. It takes good pictures, unless the photographer is crap (like on 99% of my shots). Here's a good one: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=124
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    ... Here's a good one...
    You're right -- congratulations! Quite Rodchenko-ish. But better printed...

Most FSU gear had good specifications and if the quality control was up to scratch it was very good. The trouble is that the quality control was all but non-existent and a lot of the kit has been had apart by amateurs since, most of who put it back together even more incompetently than the original Glorious Workers.

A friend of mine who was official photographer to the Supreme Soviet until the end of the Soviet Union ordered a box of six Horizonts and kept the best of them -- and even that one had an intermittently jerky swing on the lens. I borrowed it and put a couple of rolls through it in about 1990.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lighten up...

Quote Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
    Maybe if you buy the same model guitar Hendrix used you'll play like him?
    ...perhaps he'll play better!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I actually own THE Leica (M3) that Rodchenko bought on May 1st, 1959. He sold it to my grandfather when he was on vacation to the Greek islands and was out of money (he coudln't afford the ticket back to St-Petersburg).

If you want, I can sell it to you for a good price. You can recognize the model from the shape of the scratches (Rodchenko always scratched his cameras in a very peculiar way, that cannot be described verbally).

I only ask one and a half zillion US Dollars for it, or a house in Santa Monica with an Olympic size swimming pool and a 350bhp - Dodge truck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the hatchet George Washington used to chop down his father's cherry tree.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I have some plate holders made from the tree that George Washington chopped down.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wonder if the glass plates of the 19th Century were wavey float glass like window glass of the time.
    Regards
    Bill

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They weren't "float glass", that is a later development.

They were initially just as wavey as window glass but were polished flat before use.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    other than the leica and the view cameras, rodchenko also used a medium format ica, a 35mm sept movie camera/still camera combo, and a kodak vest pocket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin