Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 742

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka View Post
    You have revealed the essence. I consider it performance art, not photography. There are a lot of these type of projects where the real art (if it can be defined as such) is the creation of a situation or structure and photography is just a small part of it.

Maybe it's like the "anti-Cristo", instead of wrapping things, he unwraps things.
    Do I hear an echo here? I think we all reached the performance conclusion (cf. my own post...)
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Roger,

Years ago, a female friend of mine did a film on/of "arseholes." Pretentious, but amusing.

Jmal

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Roger,

Years ago, a female friend of mine did a film on/of "arseholes." Pretentious, but amusing.

Jmal
    Dear Jmal,

She must have been a genius, then...

And for Michel: a couple of Arleses back (the Rencontres, that is), I saw a book called 'Pisseuses'. To my surprise, it was exactly what it said on the cover -- in close-up.

Maybe I chose a bad example.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Jmal,

She must have been a genius, then...

And for Michel: a couple of Arleses back (the Rencontres, that is), I saw a book called 'Pisseuses'. To my surprise, it was exactly what it said on the cover -- in close-up.

Maybe I chose a bad example.

Cheers,

R.
    Take a generous portion of bad taste, stir in as much chutzpah as possible, and it's AMAZING what some people can get away with!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Then again, no-one else has done an arsehole album. At least, not in the name of Fine Art.
    At least no one that we know of, ergo not genius enough.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    ...The pictures of a thousand naked bodies we're most familar with could be those taken at the liberation of the concentration camps; some of Tunick's arguably share many pictorial similarities with these. As to what is the meaning of such echoes, I will leave each one to their interpretations, but I think there is some intent to revert the meaning of such pictures to something less horrible...
    This is exactly what Tunick's staging reminded me of when I first saw one of the documentaries.

I also don't recall hearing him vocalize such a noble intent for these images. Rather, from viewing the film it struck me that he was driven solely by a quest for celebrity and fame.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Roger Hicks.

Arseholes, an photographic exhibition by Lee-Anne Richards was exhibited at the Photo Technical Exhibition Space, Sydney from 1-29 September 2001. The subject matter? You guessed it!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwchayse View Post
    I was recently thinking of the documentary "naked world"...
    ... My point to this is that in my opinion I dont think work should be elevated to genious status based just on the fact that no one had done it before, even if the technical mastery of medium or the idea itself are nothing special.
    Any thoughts ?
    Just one, at the moment... "Genius status"??

I don't know of any photograph I've ever seen that I would label (worthy of) "genius status"

Can you give an example?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    For Roger Hicks.

Arseholes, an photographic exhibition by Lee-Anne Richards was exhibited at the Photo Technical Exhibition Space, Sydney from 1-29 September 2001. The subject matter? You guessed it!
    Shit! (What else can I say?).

Thanks for the enlightenment. I realized later that it might not have been the best example, and you have proven this.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I consider Tunick to be a (bad) conceptual artist, rather than a photographer. The reason the quality of the photos that are produced by his work dont matter is that they are more a byproduct of the work; an attempt to record the event (photojournalists dont fall under this category because they dont create the event, they record it). For fine art photographers, the event is the image. Tunick is more in line with artists like Vanessa Beecroft or even Niki Lee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin