Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,644   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Links For British Landscape Photographers?

In the UK we have a very different landscape to the US, granted. But I struggle to find examples of the best UK work out there and I am sure there is superb work being produced. Great US photography is easy to find on the internet and there are lots of big names out there as well as seriously talented 'unknowns'. Any web links that would help us Brits to see the best examples of our landscape would be truly appreciated. It is sad really, but I find myslf constantly looking at great photography from places other than the UK. While great photographs exist, I have not really come across any single photog who have really nailed it in the way Ansel Adams, Roman Loranc, Huntington Witherill, Bob Kolbrener etc have for the US....Maybe they all work out of Scottish log cabins with no internet connections to allow for websites? It seems that the many talented UK amateurs are responsible for almost all of the best work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Joe Cornish comes immediatly to mind ?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As Dave mentioned, Joe Cornish. But there is David Ward, Tom Mackie, Peter Watson, and a whole host of others.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Tom, Dave and Robert

I've just exchanged emails with Paul Gallagher and have been very impressed with his B+W images, Scotland and Lake District are his main subject matter and very much in the same style as AA - although note to any AA purists, I am rubbish at determining photographic style!

He is going to be leading some courses on B+W photography for Light and Land. They deserve to be popular as I think it is a medium in which most aspire to do rather better - myself included.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting thread. What about :

-Iain Brownlie Roy, whose book is one of my all-time faves:
    http://www.dewilewispublishing.com/P...GREENLAND.html

-Colin Prior
    http://www.colinprior.co.uk

-Andrew Nadolski
    http://www.nadolski.com

and Thomas Joshua Cooper. (Ok, he's really American but has taught here in the UK for years...
    http://www.inglebygallery.co.uk/artistsDetail.php?id=22

Best wishes,
    Gavin

PS, Beyond Words, a wonderful photographic bookshop here in Edinburgh, Scotland will be able to get you books by these photographers. They have a webshop: http://www.beyondwords.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could look at Fay Godwin, John Blakemore, Peter Cattrel, John Davies, Thomas Joshua Cooper, Ray Moore. All world class photographers.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think part of the problem can be found in the British mindset that tells us if its not done in oils it can’t be art. Americans seem to be less hung up on this, and therefore prepared to support their photographic artists, even those foreign born.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should have said monochrome photographers! I am familiar with Joe Cornish and David Ward, Colin Prior, Thomas Joshua Cooper, Fay Goodwin but will look up some of the other links! Cheers!

Just looked up Paul Gallaher and have seen his work before but had no links or way to get back to it, so thanks. I have not tripped over his work in some time, or seen many references to it.

Busy looking up some of the others...

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I think part of the problem can be found in the British mindset that tells us if its not done in oils it can’t be art. Americans seem to be less hung up on this, and therefore prepared to support their photographic artists, even those foreign born.
    Sad isn't it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    Sad isn't it...

It is, but as someone once said; always look on the bright side of life.

Now so many pro’s are reproducing their work by spraying dirty water onto paper, maybe they will become accepted as water-colourists by the establishment.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin