Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,613   Online: 901

Shooter
    Medium Format

ralph gibson book recommendation?

hi all - when i first came across some of the photos from ralph gibson's "deja-vu" on the george eastman site awhile ago, i was blown away. i wanted to get the book, but the only copies i could find online were going for a billion bleeding dollars. i am not familiar with any of his books which are currently in print. can anyone recommend a good (and more affordable) one - preferably mainly his b&w work, but i would be interested in the color stuff if you think it is "must-see" material. thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'Deus ex Machina' is a very good compendium book with almost all of his projects represented, including a few that never made it to prime time, such as his 'Black Kiss' series. It is in the Klotz format, so it is very thick. I think Klotz is German for brick, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by temujin View Post
    hi all - when i first came across some of the photos from ralph gibson's "deja-vu" on the george eastman site awhile ago, i was blown away. i wanted to get the book, but the only copies i could find online were going for a billion bleeding dollars. i am not familiar with any of his books which are currently in print. can anyone recommend a good (and more affordable) one - preferably mainly his b&w work, but i would be interested in the color stuff if you think it is "must-see" material. thanks.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Gim

I also highly recommend 'DUES EX MACHINA'. An excellent book with a great overview of his work and some comments by Mr. Gibson.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    L'Histoire De France
    Infanta
    Days at sea
    Sonambulist
    You've already got Deja Vu on the list.
    Gibson also published some collections under Lustrum Press you might find interesting:
    Nude : Theory
    Landscape : Theory

Histoire De France is color work & the Theory books are collections edited by Gibson. There are more available but I have not seen them.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You may like his recent mostly-text book "refractions"

GO TO YOUR LIBRARY

even if they don't have them on hand, you may find they can get them for you

I like quadrants and histoire de france but i have several & can't say there's one I dislike

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin