Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,310   Online: 941
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Gibson's technical style is based on heavy overexposure and printing from the verrrry narrow range of tones in that nearly-black neg. It's easy to think he's just being soppy, but he carries around a body with chrome film & he nails the exposures on those so he's methodical in his madness. I actually haven't seen anyone else pull it off in quite the same way -- not even Callahan or Brandt.
    Yes, I've done some research on that and have managed to achieve a very similar look that I want to combine with my own style and subject matter. I like the moody gritty look.

  2. #12
    bjorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SF & Surrounding Planet
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,032
    Images
    20
    Well good luck -- I personally think that the shooters cited so far are not even close. One or two have photos that are evocative of some Gibson pics, particularly from around the "Quadrants" period, but that could almost be coincidence.

    Get a hold of "Refractions" if you haven't -- Gibson also published a description of his 1970's methods in the Lustrum "Darkroom" books (hard to find, but some libraries have them).

    The Gibson printing technique is currently pretty-well outside the range of digital, btw -- digital cameras block up the highlights. Scanning from over-dense negatives and getting an expanding range of tones is beyond the density-precision of most (if not all) scanners. You can do some with controlled lighting in the studio, but you'll still not get the reflected contrast into those sorts of ranges. So far, B&W film remains the way to go if that look is your desire.
    Last edited by bjorke; 07-18-2007 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

    "What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

  3. #13
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Well good luck -- I personally think that the shooters cited so far are not even close. One or two have photos that are evocative of some Gibson pics, particularly from around the "Quadrants" period, but that could almost be coincidence.
    Nonetheless, I'll take all the references I can get and enjoy the pictures that come closest to what I'm looking for.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Get a hold of "Refractions" if you haven't -- Gibson also published a description of his 1970's methods in the Lustrum "Darkroom" books (hard to find, but some libraries have them).
    Thanks. I'll see if I can't find those.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    The Gibson printing technique is currently pretty-well outside the range of digital, btw -- digital cameras block up the highlights. Scanning from over-dense negatives and getting an expanding range of tones is beyond the density-precision of most (if not all) scanners. You can do some with controlled lighting in the studio, but you'll still not get the reflected contrast into those sorts of ranges. So far, B&W film remains the way to go if that look is your desire.
    I don't do digital and rarely give much thought to how it differs from film.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    413
    Oh, another one is Mario Giacomelli. Moody and gritty, w/o the glamor and cleanliness of Gibson's subject matters.

  5. #15
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Wow, I really dislike his stuff.
    Hmmm... I don't know if it's a close match to Gibson, but I like Graham's work perhaps the best of all the links so far.

    Just had a look at your site. Exceptional work (especially the Miscellaneous page).

  6. #16
    Michel Hardy-Vallée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montréal (QC)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,351
    Images
    132
    Gritty? Dense? There is nobody else but John Max:

    http://www.netspaceproject.com/john-max/index.html

    He makes Velvia photographers feel sorry they hurt their eyes on his work. And he's also brilliant.

    Not sure if you'll find he looks like Gibson, though.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 07-23-2007 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.


    "One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

    My APUG Portfolio

  7. #17
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Gritty? Dense? There is nobody else but John Max:

    http://www.netspaceproject.com/john-max/index.html

    He makes Velvia photographers feel sorry they hurt their eyes on his work. And he's also brilliant.

    Not sure if you'll find he looks like Gibson, though.
    Well, I like the pictures, but there's never enough and now I'm getting a bad itch to see real prints instead of internet browsing.

    I'm visiting New York next month. Maybe I'll find some good galleries or photography museums to visit...

  8. #18
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Wow, I really dislike his stuff.
    What do you dislike about it? I've found myself going back to his site repeatedly.

  9. #19
    Michel Hardy-Vallée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montréal (QC)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,351
    Images
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    Well, I like the pictures, but there's never enough and now I'm getting a bad itch to see real prints instead of internet browsing.

    I'm visiting New York next month. Maybe I'll find some good galleries or photography museums to visit...
    You might have a hard time: John Max is sadly one of the fallen genius type. He was very active in the 60s-70s, but in the years following his first publications and major exhibits, something must have happened with his personal life because he gradually withdrew from the public view.

    I'm sure there must be some NY dealer somewhere with his prints, and if you find anything over there, I would really love a little report! Even in Canada, where he worked for most of his life, he's pretty much unknown outside of artistic/academic circles. There has been no recent publications of his work since the early 80s. Some exhibition catalogues, but no proper reprints of his books. It's a shame.

    It's the Velvet Underground syndrome: only 10 people saw his work, but the 10 were all photographers, and his influence is actually bigger than his popularity. He was buddy with Robert Frank, Leonard Cohen, Frank Zappa, Andy Warhol, and plenty of other people.
    Using film since before it was hip.


    "One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

    My APUG Portfolio

  10. #20
    clay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Asheville, North Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,120
    Images
    8
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Bill Brandt. He is a one of Gibson's acknowledged influences.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.


    http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin