Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,457   Online: 1037

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In terms of printing, here's a little snippet:

Because I almost always shoot in bright sun on Tri-X with the camera set for f/16, there's a uniformity to my negatives. I start printing on either Brovira No. 4 or No. 5 paper (note: this book was printed in 1977) with a fifteen second exposure and the El-Nikkor enlarger lens at f/5.6. When I print I think of the will of the negative and how I should respond to it. While the image is fixed, the light can be manipulated. Even when I'm making the first exposure on the first sheet of paper, I try to imagine the light rays from the enlarger penetrating the emulsion of the paper. When i develop, I imagine the developer softening and penetrating the emulsion of the film or paper. That's also the way I think when I expose film in the camera. Looking through the rangefinder, I'll imagine millions of rays of light going through the lens and burning into the film. This attitude brings me into closer contact with the materials. I like to think of the energy, the speed, and the meaning of the entire process. I could never give anybody else my negatives to print, because they wouldn't make the same decisions. Printing is not only a question of skill, it's a question of attitude.
    There is much, MUCH more in here from him, but the rest of it deals with images printed in the book as concrete examples. I heartily suggest finding this book on eBay, bookfinder.com, or your local used bookstore if possible.

All quotes from:
    Darkroom Printed by Lustrum Press in 1977. Edited by Eleanor Lewis.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the above snippet from the book illustrates well the fact that you don't have to do things the conventionally perfect (and boring in my opinion) way. In other words, zone system blah blah blah... If you experiment with your photography in many different ways and keep following the aesthetics that attract you, you will arrive at something interesting and unique.

After reading this thread, I went on line and bought a bunch of books from Lustrum press. Both Darkroom books, and three Theory books; Nude, Landscape and Contact.

I have liked Gibson's work for most of my imvolvement with photography. I am really looking forward to reading these books. Thanks for this thread!

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks!

Jeremy,

Thanks for the quotes. Kinda makes me want to go out and find a copy of that book. That's exactly the kind of information I find particularly interesting. Would sure like to see some of his actual prints, though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin