Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,265   Online: 835

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    The other day at the Rangefinder forum there was a post by a guy who was a student of Winogrand's at the University in Austin in the '70s. He has put together a 20 page document/memoir of what it was like in the class, anecdotes etc. Also plenty of photos that he took in the classroom & on excursions. You go to his website & then download it as a pdf. Sorry I don't have the link but should be easy to find via the other forum.
    Here's the link with the PDF that you can download, courtesy of the Online Photographer.

http://ocgarzaphotography.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Here's the link with the PDF that you can download, courtesy of the Online Photographer.

http://ocgarzaphotography.com/
    I saw that a while ago and lost the link, thanks for posting it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The article mirrors my experiences as well. I studied at the Illinois Institue of Technology - Institute of Design - in Chicago when Gary taught there in 1969 to 1970/71. The writer captured almost every aspect of Winogrand's style.

On printing: The ID had a large open darkroom for printing. I was working late one night when Gary came in with a box of 11x14 paper under his arm. He proceeded to put sheets one at a time into the developer and pull them out when they had enough. He did this with quite a few sheets and would talk to whoever was around the whole time. The sheets were exposed in his darkroom at home. He certainly was much more open about who he was and what he did than any other professor I've had in my life.

Garry Winogrand was quite a shock to the students at ID when he came there. Before his arrival the mantra of photography there was the fine print from people like Aaron Siskin.

One line I remember quite distinctly from Garry was him saying that this photographer or that photographer was "trying to be a painter" instead of a photographer.

Quite a person - one who was perfect for me at the time in terms of showing me alternate forms of the medium.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand that for Winogrand, it was shoot everything...trust your instincts in the editing process and cope with printing as a necessary evil.

I admire his work for what it is but I could never work like that. I'm not certain he got the best out of his talents that way but perhaps he did. If he was a meticulous printer, it would have diverted time and attention from shooting and editing.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John... thanks for sharing your experience... his printing style, it seems to me, was perfect for his shooting style.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 09-06-2007 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just downloaded the PDF and look forward to reading it tonight! Thanks again for the great links. Shawn

Shooter
    Large Format
    With his volume of negatives, I don't see how he could have printed any other way.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I am just a little more educated in the broadest sense of the word than I was before seeing this video.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Winogrand fans should have a look at this site:

http://2point8.whileseated.org/

Michael David Murphy, the guy who runs the site, is a real Winogrand addict himself, so much so that he has even done some research at the Winogrand archives, and he generally is a lucid voice on Winogrand in particular & street photography in general. The abovementioned vid and PDF are both linked from there, too.

Best.
    www.foto-r3.com
    film + chemistry + paper
    Spain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While watching that clip I had to laugh as the term "The Perfect Storm" came to mind. He was genuine, unique....wonderful.

Bob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin