Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,208   Online: 834

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can full well imagine the headaches Jeff gave the moderators
    That's an understatement to say the least. Look, this guy was banned from the forums for several reasons. On a human level yes, I truly am sorry he has undergone some sort of tragedy. How are we to assume he wants to be contacted? What gives us the right to plaster his public information on a web forum? Who is being unethical here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be very clear. Jdef is not a member and has stated that for personal reasons he is leaving photography. If he were a member he could post. he is not. Discussing or worse trying to find out about a person’s personal issues on line when they are unable to defend themselves is, to me, beyond the pale.

What business is it of ours?

If jdef wanted the information known he would have posted it on his blog.

The post I deleted gave personal information about how to find jdef. Posting personal information of members and non-members without their consent is wrong.

Frankly I am sorry i didn't delete this thread when I first saw it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wish the very best for JDEF even though he was vitriolic in his hatred of me. That said, I haven't missed his input at all. I hope he recovers and is able to move on. We are all so very fragile, it could be me or you tomorrow.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That's an understatement to say the least. Look, this guy was banned from the forums for several reasons. On a human level yes, I truly am sorry he has undergone some sort of tragedy. How are we to assume he wants to be contacted? What gives us the right to plaster his public information on a web forum? Who is being unethical here?
    So just mentioning what town he lives in is considered unethical?? Jeff posted what I originally quoted on his blog which is also a public forum, so repeating it is not IMHO unethical.

As far as I'm concerned the issue is closed. I now have enough info from those that have PM'd me to contact Jeff myself.

Go ahead and delete the thread, obviously I'm the bad guy here. Burn me for caring.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wish Jay all the best.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As best as I can tell, JD Callow's decision to delete personal information about jdef from a public thread has nothing to do with the fact that it's jdef--it's just that it's personal information, and we don't know if he wants it to appear on the internet, so it seems prudent not to post it in the public forum. If individuals want to share this information privately in PM or e-mail, that's another story.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    As best as I can tell, JD Callow's decision to delete personal information about jdef from a public thread has nothing to do with the fact that it's jdef--it's just that it's personal information, and we don't know if he wants it to appear on the internet, so it seems prudent not to post it in the public forum. If individuals want to share this information privately in PM or e-mail, that's another story.
    I will also amend the forum rules to reflect this. Personal details should not be posted in forums unless there is consent involved. Private correspondence to exchange details is fine. This site is heavily indexed by search engines so these personal details would be linked everywhere likely against someone's will. This thread is already indexed in google and yahoo. search google for "jdef" and it's the 2nd hit.. If he contacts one of the members with information to post they are more than welcome to post it.. this is not the first time we have removed such information from the forums, possibly the first time it was met with hostility though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and let's not lump all APUG members/subscribers because of PM's you received.

What has APUG become?
    It is not an entity, just a forum.

I wish Jay well whatever his affliction.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    So just mentioning what town he lives in is considered unethical?? Jeff posted what I originally quoted on his blog which is also a public forum, so repeating it is not IMHO unethical...
    Lets use an example: The information in my signature is more than sufficient to find my exact address, phone number, car registration, annual income and so on. Yet if anyone were to gather this and post it in a public forum I would be VERY upset! Posting a link to another website where the information is given would be far better, especially if that were my own website.

The rule is very simple: You can post whatever you like about yourself, but not about others.

--------------

And I too wish jdef all the best - I have a weak spot for intelligent dissenters. And jdef is no "bullheaded troublemaker".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that a model release is mandatory for a photographic likeness that doesn't come close to identifying an individual on an international website...ya hafta know the person to recognize her/him. But personal information like address, phone number, real name if otherwise withheld, etc. is fodder for web predators of all kinds. Such information should only be permitted to be made public with the full knowledge and consent of the subject. It's light years away from censorship to withhold such data...it's considerate and protective of privacy, and perhaps even legally required in some sovereign entities.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin