Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,328   Online: 787

Thread: EW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

EW

Did Edward Weston ever visit and / or photograph in Europe?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Gim

Curt
    I have read his daybooks and have several other EW books and have not noticed any indication that he visited Europe. I think the longest trip he made was to visit NYC and Stieglitz. This is a good question. I had not really thought about it but he apparently was not ""worldly" in the travel sense. Having seen prints between NY and the west coast (NY, Amaco, midwest, Mississippi,) he must have made them traveling to/from. Most everything is west coast or Mexico. I think he stayed close to home...and some how think it fits his personality. Hope I'm not too wrong.

Best, Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I just recently read the Daybooks and didn't recall seeing anything either and thought I might have missed some note about traveling to Europe.
    Thanks, Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    He was in Mexico, but not Europe as far as I know. EW was known in Europe during his lifetime though; there is that marvellous quote attributed to Henri Cartier-Bresson in the '30s, "The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" (N.b. he denied saying that, later in life) Did EW ever photograph or show in Europe? I haven't found any info indicating that he did. And perhaps HCB knew about the U.S. west coast photography scene only though his own trip.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check this page--

http://www.brettwestonarchive.com/research/chronology

According to this, Edward and Brett Weston participated in the Deutsche Werkbund exhibition, "Film und Foto" in Stuttgart in 1929, but does not say whether they traveled to the exhibition.

Further along, it says that Brett Weston made his first trip to Europe in 1960, so presumably he did not go in 1929, but it doesn't say whether Edward Weston went in 1929.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    He was in Mexico, but not Europe as far as I know. EW was known in Europe during his lifetime though; there is that marvellous quote attributed to Henri Cartier-Bresson in the '30s, "The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" (N.b. he denied saying that, later in life) Did EW ever photograph or show in Europe? I haven't found any info indicating that he did. And perhaps HCB knew about the U.S. west coast photography scene only though his own trip.
    Edward Weston first attained international status during his pictorial period between 1911 and 1920. His work traveled to Canada, England and the European continent to numerous photographic salons. Other international showing of Weston's work include:

1930-Film un Foto, Stuttgart, Germany
    1933-Exposition Internationale de La Photographic, Brussels, Belgium
    1934-International Arts Theater, Singapore
    1938-Musee de Jeu de Paunne, paris, France
    1949-Stedelijk van Abbe Museum, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    1952-Cercle Photogrphique de Charleroi, France

With the exception of his travels to Mexico between 1923 and 1926, Edward Weston never left the United States. The vast majority of his work with eastern and southern locals were taken Between May 9, 1941 and January 20, 1942 during his "Leaves of Grass": travels through 24 states. Weston created 700 negatives during that period.

Walker

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Weston and Margrethe Mather also contributed to English photographic magazines prior to his trips to Mexico.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The above information is correct, EW did not travel to Europe. His last trip away from Carmel was with my parents and Dody (then Warren) in 1948 when they spent a week in the Death Valley area. Edward photographed in color sent to him from Kodak and was already ill from the effects of Parkinson's. My father loaded and unloaded holders for him on this trip.

Brett was the first Weston to visit Europe. He sailed from New York in early 1960 on the Maasdam and purchased a VW Van to travel through Europe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A slight correction to my previous post re Brett. He left for Europe in April, 1960 via the S.S. America and returned that fall on the aforementioned S.S. Maasdam. Not relevant to the thread topic, but I did want to correct my error. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin