Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,588   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I read a long article at national geographic on william henry jackson and he was siting there with a kodak 35 mm.
    I want to learn the name of the camera.

-------------
    Because it is there !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have spent many years researching Jackson, and he indeed used a Kodak 35mm camera and experimented with an early Kodachrome type film designed basically for the movie industry. He was very enthusiastic about the color results he obtained. The camera I believe was a early German imported Retina, later marketed by Kodak. I will try to locate my notes on W.H.J. made back in 1973.

My wife and I retraced his footsteps 100 years to the day and hour of his August 23, 1873 trip to photograph the Mountain of the Holy Cross. He intended the photograph to be a gift to his wife on their wedding day. I have the source for the 35mm camera information stored in a safe place, so safe I can't even find it. I will continue to search, and will post if any one is interested.

Charlie.................................

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dear Charles ,

Please post it , I will buy AA Contax and WHJ Kodak and compare , its funnier than to compare and use unknown cameras.
    I saw some Contax pictures at google and i believe it is better than my all 4 leicas , 1946 , 56 , 86.
    Colors are cooler and this makes image sharper than yellowish Elmar or polyurethane airbrush colors of summicron.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I want to get a list of william henry jackson and ansel adams 35 mm cameras and their lens serial numbers.

May be this will be a life long hunt. Closer you are ...

Let me start first ,

Ansel Adams
    Zeiss Jena Ikon Tessar 5 cm 1: 2.8
    Serial Number 1912570
    on
    Contax

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
    I can understand why you'd like to know what cameras and lenses they used, but why would you care about the serial numbers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps you can find an auction house that has offered cameras with unique provenances such as one belonging to WHJ. You might start with Christie's or one of the other major houses in NY for instance and see if you can speak to one of their staff whose expertise is in this area. I'd be very surprised if such a camera had not already been the object of a collector's interest.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Did WHJ ever shoot 35mm? I thought he was exclusively a large format guy. Mostly wet-plate.
    Wet Plates and a portable darkroom that was carried by WHJ's Donkey (Hypo). How many donkeys named Hypo did WHJ have during his photographic career?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Wet Plates and a portable darkroom that was carried by WHJ's Donkey (Hypo). How many donkeys named Hypo did WHJ have during his photographic career?
    MY BAD! William Henry Jackson had a pack Mule named Hypo - not a donkey. In the 1800s, he was shooting LF and ULF landscapes with wet collodion glass plates that he coated and developed in the field.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    there were no 35mm cameras when W H Jackson was wandering the planet.
    WHJ owned a Leica. although by then he was long past taking the photos for which he is famous.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb View Post
    ... early German imported Retina, later marketed by Kodak.................................
    Dear Charlie,

Kodak bought out Nagel of Stuttgart in December 1931, if my German is correct (Helmut Nagel, Zauber der Kamera, DVA Stuttgart 1977) and the Retina I type 117 of 1934-35, 266,000 made, was about the sixth camera to be branded Kodak: the first few appear all to have been 620 models, including the box 'Brownie 620' (27,000 made) and the plain 'Kodak 620' (34,000 made)with art deco finish and a choice of lenses from Kodak (Anastigmat 105/6.3 and 105/4,5), Schneider (105/4,5 Xenar) and Zeiss (105/4.5 Tessar).

The numbers made are quite revealing about the explosive growth of the take-up of 35mm, though Retina I numbers also include the 118 (1935-36), 119 (1936-38), 126 (1936-1938), 141 (1937-39), 143 (1938-39), 148 (1939) and 149 (1939). Then after the war they sold another 387,000 of types 010 and 013 before going to the 015 1a in 1951 (over 137,000 made. This is before you count II, IIa; b, c or C Retinas, or Retinettes.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I read at photo net , WHJ used new Leica at 1940. It was 3C and I owned a 3C also with elmar from 1946.
    I think Tessar is sharper better,straight lens. I will look to popular photography annual again.
    I am still awaiting Charless research results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin