Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,605   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    But that will leave future generations wondering why you liked it.

Vaughn
    Why worry about posterity? What has it ever done for us?
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    About as much as the Romans...
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    About as much as the Romans...
    And the Chinese

The Moors
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    But did the "ancients" when they were "current" worry about posterity?

I doubt it.

I think the average Greek, Chinese, Moor, Roman, Egyptian, Jew etc. just went about life not planning on leaving anything for posterity.

It's just that they did; as will we....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally I think Robert Adams is one of our great contemporary landscape photographers. I've been up close to many of his prints and they are technically flawless and in the aggregate, a profound body of work. Anyone with his dedication to the medium and depth of experience I would at least give a listen to. Adams doesn't seem to wax sentimental in his photography, even if he might in his writing.
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Why worry about posterity? What has it ever done for us?
    When having dinner, I like to sit on my posterity...or is that posterior?

Vaughn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I think the average Greek, Chinese, Moor, Roman, Egyptian, Jew etc. just went about life...
    It's not the average people you have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson to John Adams in 1813
    One of the questions... on which our parties took different sides was on the improvability of the human mind in science, in ethics, in government, etc. Those who advocated reformation of institutions pari passu with the progress of science maintained that no definite limits could be assigned to that progress. The enemies of reform, on the other hand, denied improvement and advocated steady adherence to the principles, practices and institutions of our fathers, which they represented as the consummation of wisdom and acme of excellence, beyond which the human mind could never advance... [They predicted that] freedom of inquiry... will produce nothing more worthy of transmission to posterity than the principles, institutions and systems of education received from their ancestors... [But we] possess... too much science not to see how much is still ahead of [us], unexplained and unexplored. [Our] own consciousness must place [us] as far before our ancestors as in the rear of our posterity.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    It's not the average people you have to worry about.
    Ah, but we know as much, perhaps more, about the ancient peoples from the objects and handicrafts that they left behind than from the writings of their most learned classes.

Consider that the fire at the Library of Alexandria destroyed vast quantities of ancient knowledge. As a result, many of those who focused on recording their knowledge for posterity actually contributed less to it than a common artisan who molded a simple amphora that survived to the present day.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gosh, I do not feel I am up to the task of judging Robert Adams' writings. What I do know is that they have made me become a better photographer.

This cannot be said - and it is not an abrasive remark, but rather a plain statement of what happened to me - of the many essays that I have read over the years on photography, its aesthetic, composition, etc written by critics. I may enjoy reading them but they really did not help me better as a photographer.

If I have to list what helped me improve as a photographer I have to say (a) studying classical contemporary music, (b) looking at other photographers' work, and (c) a few crucial readings with those of Robert Adams' at the very top.

Personally I cannot think of a better sign of appreciation.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    But did the "ancients" when they were "current" worry about posterity?

I doubt it.

I think the average Greek, Chinese, Moor, Roman, Egyptian, Jew etc. just went about life not planning on leaving anything for posterity.

It's just that they did; as will we....

Those ancients that did in writing, many times, glossed and modified much that was true because they liked telling a good story (deception) - we can wonder about what was real. The Craftsmen didn't tell their secrets.

A news reporter tells his stories daily, and gives his perspective (analysis). What is that worth?

It's the uncertainty that makes life interesting.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin