Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,464   Online: 936

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately as already stated there are several chances to see Genius... but only one to catch the documentary on photographers immediately afterwards.

A recording of Thursday night between 9-10:30 may be the belt and braces step needed.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it is possible to buy the dvd at http://www.banyak.co.uk/shop-ravilious.php
    for those who didn't get to record it. An excellent programme if only half an hour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are links to Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail reviews of the film here
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought it was a great documentary - made richer by the fact that many of the subjects of the photographs are still living and able to give their own slant on things.

Have to say I am enjoying the documentaries that follow 'Genius' more satisfactory than 'G' itself which, although interesting, is a bit of a whistle-stop tour that leaves out a great deal (For example, women photographers in any depth other than in passing - and do we REALLY have to have Martin Parr AGAIN ??)

Shooter
    35mm
    Loved the documentary on Ravilious. It's so easy to forget that such a way of life and characters still exist in this high tech 100mph world that surrounds us and gets faster every year.

We might be gaining diversity in one respect in the UK but we're in danger of losing another kind all together.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I note that his biography "An English Eye" is to be republished soon, it is a wonderful account of his life and work. It certainly had an effect on me, as I sub-consciously chose it as the name for my web site.

Quote from the Mail web page:
    AN ENGLISH Eye: The Photographs Of James Ravilious by Peter Hamilton (The Bardwell Press, £15) is published next month. Order a copy from www. bardwell-press.co.uk/ englisheye.htm James Ravilious:
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I note that his biography "An English Eye" is to be republished soon, it is a wonderful account of his life and work. It certainly had an effect on me, as I sub-consciously chose it as the name for my web site.
    That's going to upset the Amazon marketplace seller who wants £148 for a copy! See here.

It is an excellent book though, nice to hear it will soon be available again.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    and do we REALLY have to have Martin Parr AGAIN ??)
    I think the reason is that Mr. Parr is one of the consultants/advisors to the programme.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent news about the book I've been trying to get a copy (at a sensible price) for some time now. I've just ordered one and can't wait thanks for the info Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bumping a very old thread... Stoo Batchelor posted a link to the full documentary about James Ravilious today over on Facebook. Thought I'd share it here, it's a very good documentary with several of his subjects, and recording of his voice.

http://www.filmannex.com/movie/james...tographs/21614

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin