Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,743   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Promising documentary on BBC4

For those in the UK, at 10pm on Thursday 15th Nov at 10pm on BBC4

Alan Bennett presents a documentary about the photographer James Ravilious who photographed the people and landscapes of rural north Devon in black and white from the 1970s until his death in 1999.

Should be good.

Les

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Les, will try to set the vidio as it's a bit late for me.

Regards Paul.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes Les, I saw that it was on. Should be interesting to students of the history of photography and photographers.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    35mm
    They seem to be running a series of these progs on photographers straight after the Genius of Photography. Worth staying with BBC4 for the whole hour and a half from 9:00pm or extending the recorder until 10:30 pm.

Incidentally if you miss the Thursday night edition of The Genius...you can catch it again on the following Monday at 8:00pm. One of the few benefits of a cash strapped BBC is that they use progs as quick repeats

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesd View Post

Alan Bennett presents a documentary about the photographer James Ravilious who photographed the people and landscapes of rural north Devon in black and white from the 1970s until his death in 1999.

Should be good.

Les
    That should be a treat.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesd View Post

Should be good.

Les
    Just bumping the thread as a reminder - it's tonight. Ravilious is one of my favourite photographers so I'm looking forward to it!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    That should be a treat.
    It certainly was, not just his end products but also the programme itself, with its interviews with some very colourful local characters who knew Ravilious.
    In particular, the numerous contra-jour shots and home-made lens shading arrangements that facilitated them (and apparently shocked Leica enthusiasts!) were fascinating. My only reservation about the programme was that it left me feeling embarassed that I live only half an hour's drive away from the locations of most of his work, know the area pretty well, but had never heard of him before this programme.

Mentioned in the credits was Chris Chapman, who currently shoots and publishes a lot of material of rural Devon life. Although the slant of the programme was that Ravilious was recording a fast-disappearing way of life, I have to say that there's plenty of that style of farming still to be seen in Devon and Cornwall.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Damn, I missed this entirely; does anyone know if it's going to be repeated (most things on BBC4 are?) Apart from anything, I think Alan Bennett is absolutely wonderful. (Have bumped into him around Leeds a couple of times, but I'm too shy to ask for an autograph - or better still to ask to take his photograph; he has so much character in his face he must be a portrait photographers dream.)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Try this page (a great feature I only discovered the other day):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00866km

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon E View Post
    Try this page (a great feature I only discovered the other day):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00866km
    Thus prompted I thought I'd look on the BBC4 site for the Ravilious doc. I quote:

"James Ravilious: A World in Photographs

Documentary about the 1976 Test series between England and West Indies, when the Caribbeans trounced the home nation and emerged as one of the greatest cricket teams to ever play the game."

Oops! Anyway, it's not scheduled for a repeat at present. Pity - it was as Steve says a treat.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin