Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,675   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike, cheers for the masterclass at Bridgend College the other week! I could use you as my mentor :-) but that'd be a bit too easy. I don't want to limit myself to a welsh B+W landscape photog necessarily. I'm just saying ideally it would be. I'm just really looking for someone who's work I appreciate that I can discuss with why they still shoot B+W film over other mediums. Thanks alot for the recommendations everyone. It's appreciated, I'll look into them now.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I don't understand why the photographer has to come from UK..

but how about making a thread about this subject?

you might get a lot of interesting wiews on the subject - and maybe some good leads...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well they don't have to come from the UK. I just thought it'd be better. Make a thread asking why people shoot B+W negs? Good idea.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is John Davies doing b&w landscape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shortlisted John Davies and George Jackson to contact. I love that picture of the powerplant. I've seen that before. I like their work and could try something similar. I've got until Wednesday to think about this anyway so I'll carry on looking until then. Thanks for the leads.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Jarvman
    I wondered if you were from Bridgend as I remember that idea being talked about by one of the lecturers when I did the workshop. I was really impressed with the college, not only the equipment, (very good darkroom facilities and getting bigger too), but also the dedication of the students and staff. I re-read your original posting and realise that you were more interested in street photography. It's down that route, but what about David Hurn? I'm not sure where he is based in Wales, but he is best known for his black and white work. More details on him on the Magnum website.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/...PXX=SubPanel10

If the link doesn't work, due to my cack handed lack of URL stuff, look on www.magnumphotos.com and find him under Photographers. There's also a 'whereabouts' map showing him to be the Magnum man in Wales.

Warning: If you haven't been on the Magnum website before, it can be very distracting and you will find you have been on for hours, going from photographer to photographer!

All the best
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheers Mike, yeah it's a great college. I don't know about the enthusiasm from the students though! We're a class of slackers. I suppose it's the fact that we have to go over the basics again and the pace is a bit slow. That'll be all change this week though because they're bringing in weekly critiques and expect to see 5 quality images from us a week now.

I'm one step ahead, I already had a look at Hurn on Magnum earlier, and yeah you're right about it swallowing your time ogling the images on there. I've got one of his books here that I won as a prize from photomarathon last year. Perhaps I could get in contact with him. I was thinking of somebody less renowned though. Speaking of photomarathons, our college had one this week. It was digital though so a bit half arsed. it's not the same when you can shoot as many images as you want. With the official photomarathon you only get one chance at each of the topics. The titles were 'Make Your Mark', 'Lost + Found', 'Blue' and 'End'. This is how I interpreted them. Not amazing photos but it was a good laugh.
    Last edited by Jarvman; 02-24-2008 at 02:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try Roger Tiley. I do not know if he works exclusively in B/W but I have not seen any colour work by him.
    He used to lecture in photography at Swansea College but I do not know where he may be at present. He has had several books published and is a professional. Plenty on him if you just search his name in google.
    Regards,
    John.
    Last edited by Jean Noire; 11-18-2007 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Christ Chapman's work has a strong resonance with me:

http://www.chrischapmanphotography.com/

There is also lots of good B+W documentary work - including a fair bit of John Davies' photography - in the online archives of the Side Gallery in Newcastle:

http://www.amber-online.com/

Lots of leads there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jarvman. Was just browsing the Ilford Harman site. Have a look at Photo Community Events. It mentions Dave Butcher who has done a couple of books in B&W landscapes and does a bit of teaching. It gives his e-mail and website where a number of shots are Wales. He's Derbyshire based and has an exhibition this week-end.

OK a long way to go from S Wales but judging from his site he seems a very approachable sort of guy whether it's an approach in person or via e-mail.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin