Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,296   Online: 840

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Professionals who only work in B+W

I'm still having no luck finding a professional photographer who soley works in black and white in the UK for my assignment. Can anybody help me by perhaps listing practicing professionals within the UK who only shoot analogue B+W. I want to look at somebody who does street photography ideally. Google is no help searching for what I want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well he does not shoot street stuff, but Michael Kenna is a professional who only shoots b/w.

Are you talking commercial work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    His work is great, but ideally it'd be somebody who is or has made a living producing black and white film images in the UK. It doesn't have to be somebody who works soley in black and white, just somebody who prolificly uses it. Our brief is "why do people still shoot black and white?". I enjoy quirky street shooting, but this isn't what professionals make their income from, so perhaps a black and white landscape photographer. It needs to be someone I can draw parallels with my own work from. Welsh would be better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about our very own Les McLean? While he's not a Welshman, he works in black-and-white, does landscapes. I don't know what percent of his income is from photography, but I get the idea that it is a substantial majority.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    How about our very own Les McLean?

He was going to be my recommendation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    His stuff is really nice too, but I would prefer somebody who has done more rural landscapes along the lines of Ravillious, who I was very impressed with the programme on last night, that or rugged seascapes. If I'm doing landscape I want some very dark moody stuff that reflects the kind of weather round here. It'd be nice to talk to somebody that has documented Wales and has published a book in black and white.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look into some back issues of the UK B&W magazine. I know they've shown some Welshmen or at least Welsh landscapes in the last six months.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Jarvman. I may be looking at the very book for you. It's called Landscapes - Developing Style in Creative Photography. It is solely B&W and lists contributions from John Claridge;Gearge Davison;Adrian Ensor;Bob Hudak; George Jackson etc

Two problems: 1 They may not all be solely B&W photogs 2. They may not necessarily be all still practising or not with B&W film and just thought of this 3. May not all be still alive even. Mind you the book was only published in 2000 so it's not that old.

If this is of any interest, let me know and I'll list the whole gamut of photogs and then it may be a question of searching for websites

It's one of the few books I have seen dedicated to B&W landscape photography. Unfortunately it's a library book but may be in S Wales libraries as well. At least if you are interested I can quote the details such as ISBN.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello
    Do you not think you are limiting yourself by searching for a Welsh, B/W, film shooting landscape photographer who can actually make a living out of doing so? Surely your brief is to write about "why do people still shoot black and white?" That's a great subject and for me very important, but I do think that it is commercially impossible to maintain such ideals. As a photographic printer, I am still printing a lot of work in the darkroom for clients who shoot film, (though very little landscape except for my own urban landscape efforts), but am also doing a lot of digital work too. I manage to balance my work between the two mediums, which is fine by me as I enjoy working in both, though by nature I'm a darkroom monkey. I think you will find that most photographers who still work commercially with film, will also record things with pixels, or at least convert their work to digital at some point in the process, and perhaps they are the ones you should speak to as they still maintain a working practise using film. You should ask them why, given the convenience of digital, they still love and use film. Despite any digital leanings I may have, (and I am sure that many on this forum will have more than they will admit to), I do prefer shooting and printing black and white film when I know that I will be wanting to produce monochrome prints. Going back to your original question, have a look at the work of John Davies who has done some incredible work documenting the changing urban and sometimes rural landscape of Britain, (www.johndavies.uk.com), but do think about opening your catchment area outside of Cymru as there is some great work out here.

Best wishes and good luck with your project.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Crawford; 11-16-2007 at 04:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/voigtf64/

You might try researching in flickr. This guy here is one of my favorites and does very high quality work and seems to have a high output. I emailed him once and he got back to me. He was a perfectly friendly guy then.

I can't remember his real name but he works in large format as well as roll film. In studio as well as in the countryside and a fair amount of street photography.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin